Focusing on Yourself in 2017

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

It’s the beginning of a new year and that means resolutions towards creating a better version of you. It’s the perfect time to start focusing on yourself by thinking of ways that you want to improve. For some that means hitting the gym more often, eating healthier, not procrastinating, gaining self-confidence, having a more positive outlook on life or anything else that you want to work on. To make it a little easier, I created a list some small things that you could do to become the best version of you.

Acceptance:

Accept everything that happened in 2016, the good and the bad. It can be a little difficult to accept that you had a couple of mistakes and regrets, but that’s alright because they are in the past and you can learn from them. Accept yourself too. Know that you are perfectly imperfect and don’t try to change because of negative reasons, but want to improve yourself for you.

Take initiative:

Think about your goals and don’t wait for them to happen, make them happen! This is cliché, but taking the first step toward your goals is the only way that you will achieve them.

Take advantage of opportunities:

Try to not miss out on any opportunities, even the ones that frighten you at first. It’s worse to regret not trying something than trying and having failed at it. Always remember, failure is perfectly alright.

Care less what people think:

You are doing this for you and only you, so the opinions of others shouldn’t matter. Just keep focusing on yourself and if other people aren’t supportive with your decisions, then they aren’t the people you need in your life.

Be selfish:

Being selfish isn’t always a bad thing. People often don’t even realize that they are neglecting their wants and needs until they are unhappy. When was the last time that you did something for yourself? Treat yourself to a spa day, eat the last piece of food, don’t let anyone push you around, etc. Just remember that you have wants and needs and sometimes you need to fulfill those to be happy.

Spend time alone:

Get to know yourself because it can be an awakening experience. Go see a movie by yourself, meditate, eat dinner alone in public and if you are daring, plan a trip to a place that you have always wanted to travel. For extra inspiration, read and watch Eat Pray Love.

Sources:

Just Do It / The Office  / Kevin G / Treat Yourself / Eat Pray Love

Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!