This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

The Fashion Merchandising and Design Society hosts an annual fashion show every spring. This year’s show will take place on April 12th at 8pm in the Commonwealth Ballroom in Squires. Doors will open at 7pm for VIP guests and 7:30 pm for general admission.

Each year, the theme of the show is different, and designers are able to take creative control over their garments in the show. This year, the theme is “Enchanted” and allows designers to be inspired by two sub-themes: a soft, whimsical, and fairy-tale feel or dark, edgy, and mysterious. This year, the show consists of 32 student designers, 33 student models, and men and women’s clothing from local boutiques such as Sundee Best, Fringe Benefit, and Greenhouse.

The show will be different from last year’s “Washed Ashore” show. Special guests such a fashion bloggers Sunny Murthy and Amanda Marshall will be present as well as Miss Virginia Ashley Vollrath who will be a guest judge for the Garment Competition. The Garment Competition will allow the audience and judges to choose their favorite looks from the show. Additionally, there will be shopping provided by ThriftEd Mag, eff.y.bee, Clinique, and Jay Marne handbags.

Live music will be provided by DJ C-Jay during the show and exclusive behind the scenes content will play before the show. People will also be able to buy raffle tickets for baskets full of special goods and take pictures at the photobooth.

Fashion Show Coordinators, Lissandra Cartagena and Meredith Cox are both juniors majoring in Fashion Merchandising and Design and have been planning the show since last summer, when they first developed the show’s theme. “I hope that after the event, people will give more credit to fashion students. They are incredibly talented, and this show is really to showcase their work. What they do is not easy and is often overlooked at an Engineering school like Virginia Tech,” says Cartagena.

General admission is open to students and the public for $5 in advance, $7 at the door, $10 for VIP tickets although those have already sold out! VIP guests can expect to have early access to the shopping vendors, a private room with hors d’oeuvres, front row seats, and a VIP goodie bag. Tickets are on sale now through the Squires Ticket Office. https://tickets.artscenter.vt.edu/studentcenters/online/seatSelect.asp

For an exclusive behind the scenes interview with the fashion show coordinators, watch our recent YouTube video.

For more information, insights, and behind the scenes content, follow @enchantedfashionshow on Instagram. 

Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter! 
Kaley Roshitsh

Virginia Tech '18

After graduating with a B.S. in Fashion Merchandising and Design from Virginia Tech in 2018, Kaley moved to NYC to start her career with WWD – the authority on the fashion, beauty and retail industries. She is credited with the relaunch of Her Campus at Virginia Tech in 2016, serving as Campus Correspondent for 2 years, building the team to 55+ members while earning multiple Pink chapter level statuses (top-20% of over 330 chapters) and being awarded "Outstanding Organization of the Year" in 2018 at Virginia Tech. Other notable achievements include the annual "Media Mixer" gala and buildout of many strategic content initiatives.