Life > Academics

Five of the Best Classes for Your Fall Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

As it always comes, fall course request opens on Mar. 22, and it’s time to get schedules situated. Whether you’re looking for fun classes that qualify as Pathways or you’re finding some GPA boosters before graduation, here are a few fun — and easy — courses at Virginia Tech.

FST 3124: Brewing Science and Technology

If you like beer and are interested in learning more about the brewing process, this class might be for you. Occurring once a week, FST 3124 takes you through the process of brewing and how beers get their distinctive flavors. From what previous students have said, this class is one everyone should take.

HORT 2144: INDOOR Plants

Are you a plant parent? Looking to get a greener thumb? Past Virginia Tech students love Indoor Plants for its basic horticulture information, such as identification of plants and discussion of groups, like ferns and cacti. Next semester, there will be three different times to take this class — so choose what works best for you.

HNFe 1214: TS

Do you have a goal of being more active? HNFE 1214 is a great way to get your blood pumping. This semester, you have the choice of swimming, weight training, basketball or introduction to rock climbing. If you need a fun and easy class, I highly recommend any of these morning classes.

GEOS 1054: Age of Dinosaurs

There’s no denying that dinosaurs are the coolest, so take some time to learn about these prehistoric beauties. While this course might have some extra leg work, it’ll be worth it if you love paleontology and how animals have evolved through history. However, act fast — next semester only offers one time period on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

TA 2024: Introduction to Acting

As a theater nerd myself, the Introduction to Acting class is absolutely amazing. You’ll learn all about acting techniques, break out of your comfort zone and have the chance to see student performances — on and off stage. Take your pick of the litter; VT is offering eight different times for this class. Bonus, this is probably the easiest class you’ll ever take — at least, from my experience.

Next semester, take a load off and enjoy your chance to take a fun class. Maybe, you’ll find yourself learning something new.

Madi Armstrong

Virginia Tech '23

Madi Armstrong is a senior studying multimedia journalism with minors in Spanish and creative writing. Through writing, she hopes to empower those around her to advocate for what they believe in and to use their experiences in ways to help others. Proud to be part of Her Campus, she hopes to leave a lasting impact and create an environment where everyone feels welcome.