This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

First things first, you made it. Getting into college is an extremely hard process. It’s a struggle that has one of the greatest rewards in the end.

Everything I did throughout my life, was for college. I spent more days than not stressing over grades. I was worried about my being involved with clubs. I was worried about participating in sports, making sure my teachers liked me enough to give me a letter of recommendation and lastly making sure I wasn’t losing my sanity through it all.

Here’s one thing I want to get out of the way first: the transition to college is going to be weird, confusing, and challenging, but that definitely all varies upon the person. When I came in a had no idea what I was getting myself into. Of course, I wasn’t completely blind. I had some older friends in college giving me tips and tricks, but it wasn’t the same. Everything I learned during my time in college, I had to learn first hand and some things more than once. But here are a few things I wish I knew that I can tell you now:

Talk to your family often

Talk to your family often – they are just as nervous and confused as you are

Do not let FAFSA and other student aid resources control your life

Yes, having grants, aid, and scholarships are very much so important but they totally aren’t worth the stressful days and fights they bring up. You will get the aid you need in time and it will all work out.

Do not compare yourself to your peers

This last one was very hard for me. I was often jealous of some of my classmates because they didn’t have to worry about money, scholarships, or having a plan B – Z in case college didn’t end up working out, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t dealing with their own troubles. Everyone is dealing with something

In the end, yes you will go through some hard times. God knows I definitely did, but I got through it and so will you. College is a time of growth. You will meet some of the best people there while also learning some important life lessons. So first-gen to first-gen:

YOU GOT THIS!

Image Source: 1

Gifs from GIPHY.COM

Are'Yanna Dickens is studying fashion merchandising and design and multimedia journalism at Virginia Tech. She loves writing pieces about people, fashion, or her about her own experiences.
Kaitlyn Horinko

Virginia Tech '19

Kaitlyn can usually be found 15 minutes early to wherever she's going, with Starbucks in hand. She is passionate about social media and finding new ways to advocate for mental health, and enjoys making playlists, road trips, and writing in her free time.