This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Ever since quarantine started, a lot of individuals have shown on social media how they were going to start a new hobby or learn a new skill. With us almost at a year of being in a pandemic, a lot of people have given up on what they started in March 2020. While I did not have any new hobbies, I tried at the start of quarantine. I have given up some projects throughout the year to just binge-watch a show on Netflix. Those projects include a 1,000-piece puzzle, a 3D origami swan, and a painting I started four weeks ago and have yet to even think about finishing. 

Not being able to commit to projects is something that I have always struggled with. It always seems that life and school get in the way. By the time I remember the unfinished potential hobbies, I find myself unmotivated to finish them. Although, there is one thing I have wanted to do for a long time: make a blanket. This is something that I have thought about for a while and with seeing the countless TikTok of individuals making them, I decided it is finally the time to learn. By the time I made up my mind, I was quick to buy some yarn and a crochet needle and start watching some YouTube tutorials. Because I decided to buy supplies quickly, I wanted to find ways to help me stick to a new hobby and wanted to share with anyone else who is like me. 

Girl holding cup of coffee and book
Photo by Vincenzo Malagoli from Pexels

One of the first tips I found was asking yourself, “what is in it for me?” It is important to be able to gain something from doing a hobby. Whether that is stress relief or a physical object you wanted or needed, having something to gain can help you stick to it. A way to answer this question is to see how you feel after doing your activity of choice. Do you feel stressed, calm, or happier? You may not want to stick with a hobby that makes you feel stressed out once you have done it, so it may not be the one for you. 

Journal opened to September
Photo by Estée Janssens on Unsplash

Another tip is to plan a set schedule. If it is a hobby you will have to build up the skills to do, start small and have a schedule of when you want to complete the next step. This can help you remember to fit it into your schedule as well as stick with it until the end. Something else that goes along with this is having patience. It is important to always keep in the back of your mind that most hobbies can’t be completed or mastered overnight. While you may get frustrated at first, if you stick with it, you will get better at it as you practice. If it is something that you really want to learn, patience is the most important skill to have. 

zoom call with friends
Photo by Gabriel Benois from Unsplash

Lastly, a way to stick to a new hobby is finding a friend or a group to do it with. Having that support system can help you stay motivated to keep up with it. It is also just fun to have someone with you when learning a new skill or sticking with a hobby. Your friend or group can hold each other accountable and be able to stick to the hobby long-term.

Overall, a hobby is a great way to have something that calms you and relieves the stress that you may get from work or school. While it may be hard to stick with a hobby for a long time, using these tips can help with this issue. I am going to be using all of these tips I have learned on my journey to learning to crochet and any other hobbies I pick up. I hope you find these tips helpful and are able to stick with a hobby long term.

Kate Renz

Virginia Tech '22

Public relations major minoring in cinema. In my free time, I love to spend time with friends and watch movies!
Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!