This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

The students of Virginia Tech, along with many others across the country, are now a few weeks into their first semester of college classes. After move in and orientation, things have suddenly become a lot more real. “Silly week” and “summer camp” are over. Meeting professors, reading syllabi, finding the correct buildings, can all be extremely taxing. So, if you’re a freshman and you’re feeling overwhelmed, a little lost, and exhausted, here are some tips for you.

First, don’t be afraid to put yourself out there. As cheesy as it sounds, everyone is in the same boat. Everyone has moved away from home for the first time to a new place and they are learning to navigate this new found freedom. In the dorms, an open door policy can be great. I made friends with a bunch of my neighbors just by seeing them walk past or them walking in to see what I had on TV. Introducing yourself to new people can be really scary, but pushing yourself out of your comfort zone can be how you meet your future roommates, best friends and even romantic partners.

Second, take advantage of the campus. For a while, I stayed cooped up in my dorm room. I ordered food from the dining hall, picked it up, and brought it back. I studied all weekend at the tiny desk in my dorm. Once I started prioritizing getting out of the dorm room, my cabin fever wore off immediately. Eat in the dining hall, interact with staff, and sit with a familiar face. Go to Newman Library or Torgerson Bridge to study and you might just find a study group there. 

Third, be okay with being alone. Your freshman year of college is lonely and that’s more than okay. Lean into it. Learn what you like to do by yourself. Take yourself to Starbucks alone. Take yourself to Kroger alone. Go on a walk and listen to music or a podcast. Learning how to like your own company is a huge part of college. 

Fourth, you’re never too cool for something. I think a lot of freshmen waste their time thinking they are too cool for things happening on campus. It holds them back from experiencing the university in its entirety. Faculty and staff organize and plan events for us, so that we can get our money’s worth, meet new faces, and fall in love with our school. 

Fifth, accept every invitation. Whether you want to go or not, accept every invitation that’s extended to you while you’re here. If a club reaches out, go to its interest meeting. If a girl from your Spanish class asks to get lunch, go to lunch with her. It’s hard work and it’s uncomfortable but it will pay off. If you’re sitting in your dorm room sad and lonely every weekend, don’t be afraid to reach out to someone. Chances are, there are other people that are feeling the same way you are.  

Virginia Tech is a large university with an intimidating culture, but learning to navigate it is the best thing you can do for yourself. Finding a support system, taking advantage of everything our school has to offer, and finding comfort within yourself will set you up for a successful freshman year and a successful college career.

Alden Koupal

Virginia Tech '26

Hi, my name is Alden Koupal. I'm from Richmond, Virginia. I'm a freshman at Virginia Tech majoring in international studies. I enjoy going for long walks, listening to music, and eating sweets. I'm an introvert at heart and I adore reading and writing. Her Campus feels like a dream come true. The freedom to contribute to such an inclusive community feels infinitely rewarding.