This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

It’s no question that casual reading has become more and more popular amongst college students in the past couple of months. With BookTok encouraging readers to share their favorites in every corner of the world, various books have managed to become viral and popular seemingly overnight. We’ve seen books such as It Ends with Us by Colleen Hoover grow to the point where a film starring Blake Lively is being made and Where the Crawdads Sing becoming so popular that Taylor Swift produced music for the film. 

Although these books can teach us about the world, they are growing in popularity because they offer college students an escape from the monotony and the stress of day-to-day life. Particularly, the ever-growing fantasy genre offers readers an alternate world they can live in alongside their college life. Books like these allow both a place for the reader to escape and a creative outlet for readers to immerse themselves in and build a world that’s truly special to them. I know this has been the case for me, so here are some of the favorites I recommend to anyone who needs a quick break from reality or a creative medium to lose yourself in. 

• From Blood and Ash Series by Jennifer L. Armentrout
  • Zodiac Academy series by Caroline Peckham, Susanne Valenti
  • Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Mass
  • A Court of Thorns and Roses series by Sarah J. Mass 
  • Crescent City series by Sarah J. Mass
  • Six of Crows series by Leigh Bardugo
  • Dance of Thieves series by Mary E. Pearson
  • The Invisible Life of Addie Larue by V.E. Schwab
  • The Poppy War series by R.F. Kuang
KATIE STEVENS, MEGHANN FAHY, AISHA DEE
Freeform / Jonathan Wenk / Disney Enterprises

These books are just the tip of the iceberg regarding world-building escapism stories that keep you on the edge of your seat. These series are well-loved and beloved among college women everywhere. If you find yourself looking for a community of friends to talk to about these books, I highly recommend looking around on Facebook and joining a fan group for the book or series of your choice! 

Elizabeth Mennitt

Virginia Tech '24

I am currently a third-year student at Virginia Tech studying Political Science and Integrated Security. I love reading and painting, and you can find me most days outside with a good book.