This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Feminism is a growing trend focusing on the advocacy of women’s rights, striving for equality among sex. This trend is growing especially in the workplace as women are being seen as valuable assets to their places of employment. 

It has been proven that countries and organizations with women in positions of leadership have higher success rates than others. New Zealand for example, their female prime minister,  Jacinda Ardern has led the country flawlessly through a global pandemic. Even with this, women still face daily struggles to gain level ground in the workplace. 

According to Payscale, the uncontrolled gender pay gap, looking at the overall median difference in pay for all men and women, is women earn eighty-one cents for every dollar earned by men. The pay gap between men and women in the same position with the same qualifications is less but men are still earning more than their female counterparts. 

The glass ceiling is a metaphorical term describing the very real challenges that women face in the workplace to achieve upper level success. Breaking the glass ceiling is something that women have been tasked with for decades. Although the thought of women being in more leadership positions than men does sound incredibly empowering, we have a lot of ground to break. 

In 2019, the proportion of women in senior management roles globally grew to 29%, the highest number ever recorded. In 2020, this percentage remains the same according to Catalyst.

Additionally, women were nearly half  of the labor force, 47% to be exact, with 40% being managers sitting at just over a third in 2019 in the United States, per the U.S.Bureau of Labor Statistics.

This change has to begin from within the workplace. You don’t have to be in an official leadership position, to be making change. Regardless of what profession you are working in, position you are leading, goal you are working towards in your career you can be a leader for feminist values at work. 

To begin, patriarchal views of women being weak and incapable must go. Women can do anything men can do with just as much ability and success – sex has no affect on that. The same opportunities should be available to everyone regardless of sex, this includes opportunities for positions and pay.  

Eradicating the traditional view of female value and purpose. Women’s sole purpose in life is not to settle down with a spouse and have children. The justification is no longer valid. We have the opportunity and potential to do so much more than that. 

The focus on female employees’ personal life is not something the workplace should be considering. If women want to prioritize their careers then their workplace should be allowing for them to follow their ambitions and grow professionally. There is opportunity to make a difference and leave a mark on the world through the work you do, not just in having a family.  

Valuing the work and contributions made by women should be promoted. “Empowered women, empower women.” – this quote promotes a true feminist value. We as women should be empowering other women so that we may all be successful in whatever it is we are doing. Cultivating relationships with coworkers and peers should be a priority – there is strength in numbers and a powerful group of women can be unstoppable.

girls rule written on socks by Pexels
Photo by CoWomen from Pexels

Incorporating feminism in the workplace won’t just benefit women, it is going to benefit men in the workplace as well. Enabling and fostering a working environment that values and supports each individual with equal opportunities is going to be more successful than any others. 

Profession, career, position make no difference, equality in the workplace is essential to having a successful working environment. We have to work together for that to happen. Advocate for equality – advocate for women. 

Fight for feminism in the workplace. Stand up for the women you work with. Support the women you work with. Value the women you work with. 

Eva Cregger

Virginia Tech '20

An old soul with modern views of the world that loves movies, music, traveling and anything sweet. Majoring in Communication Studies at Virginia Tech. I am a proud Hokie & HerCampus member
Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!