Fashion Rules Mini-Series: Never Let Your Bra Show

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Growing up, many girls heard that it was distasteful and inappropriate to let your bra show.  But thank god for feminism and girl power movements who said FORGET that!  Bras are essential to so many women and there’s no need to feel ashamed of them.  More than trending right now is women embracing the beauty of their bras and other intimate items by incorporating them into everyday outfits.

Kim Kardashian West is one great example of how to nail the look.  Her wardrobe choices defy rule breaking. Over the past year she has emerged wearing lots of lacy and racy things, and we love it!

Bodysuits and slip dresses are the easiest way to do the sleepwear as streetwear look. I love pairing lace bodysuits with high waisted jeans and skirts. Throwing on a slip dress with a denim jacket or over a tee or turtleneck looks effortlessly cool. You can also amp up a simple tee and jean combo by adding in a laced bralette underneath to peek through.  

Rachel Kiser, a freshman here at Tech is the ultimate fashion rule breaker!  “Whether it’s wearing black lipstick, or wearing pants over a dress, or even just wearing a red lip and a low cut shirt; it’s whatever makes you feel sexy, beautiful and adventurous.” Her Campus is loving both her bold attitude and style. She promoted the sleepwear as streetwear look perfectly by pairing a black slip over a solid white tee and jeans. The way Rachel utilized the slip gives her an edgy vibe while still staying appropriate for class.

Image Sources:

1/2/3/4/5/6

Stay tuned to see what rule will be broken next.

Hey y'all! I'm a freshman majoring in Multimedia Journalism and Fashion Merchandising & Design. I love all things fashion and beauty and especially writing about them! I dream of one day working for a major fashion magazine in the big city. Until then, you can find me scrolling through Pinterest, watching makeup tutorials, and online shopping!
Kaley Roshitsh

Virginia Tech '18

After graduating with a B.S. in Fashion Merchandising and Design from Virginia Tech in 2018, Kaley moved to NYC to start her career with WWD – the authority on the fashion, beauty and retail industries. She is credited with the relaunch of Her Campus at Virginia Tech in 2016, serving as Campus Correspondent for 2 years, building the team to 55+ members while earning multiple Pink chapter level statuses (top-20% of over 330 chapters) and being awarded "Outstanding Organization of the Year" in 2018 at Virginia Tech. Other notable achievements include the annual "Media Mixer" gala and buildout of many strategic content initiatives.