This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Fall is officially here, and I couldn’t be more ready to break out my sweaters and riding boots. Like many other girls, fall is by far my favorite season. I love everything about it — the changing leaves, the cooler temperatures and pumpkin-flavored everything. When it comes to fall fashion, I always feel so inspired. I always find that looking cute is easiest in the fall when the weather is just a little chilly. It’s so easy to throw on leggings and a cardigan, or a cute sweater dress. To make it even easier, here’s a guide to some wardrobe basics every girl needs in her closet!

Leggings

Black leggings are the perfect base for a comfy outfit. They are easily dressed up or down, so you can always be comfy no matter the occasion. One of my personal favorite ways to style leggings is with an oversized sweater and a pair of cute sneakers. You can also mix it up with some velvet or leather leggings!

Cardigans

An oversized, cozy cardigan is an absolute must once it starts to get chilly outside. Cardigans are perfect for finishing any outfit. I suggest getting one in a more neutral color so that it’ll go with anything.

Loafers

Loafer slides were the shoe of the summer, so it only makes sense that the trend continues into fall. Loafers are the perfect style upgrade from ballet flats. They’re the perfect shoes to throw on with any outfit to add a classic touch. If plain black loafers seem too boring, look for a pair with embroidery or other embellishments!

Oversized Sweaters

Sweaters might be my favorite clothing item. Who doesn’t love looking cute and feeling cozy? Having a comfy sweater in a neutral color is a must, but don’t be afraid to try out other colors too! I personally love any jewel tone (especially emerald) for a fun pop of color in autumn.

Flannels

Flannels are such a versatile piece of clothing. You can dress them up by wearing one buttoned up with a nice pair of jeans and booties, or you can dress them down by layering one over a t-shirt and leggings. Like with sweaters, the bigger the better. Flannels are also perfect for those days that start off cool but get hot because you can always take them off and tie them around your waist!

Booties

Ankle booties are such an easy way to add some style to any outfit. I think everyone needs at least two pairs — one black pair and one tan pair. I personally like buying booties with a smaller heel so walking to class isn’t a problem.

Wool Coat

A classic wool coat is the perfect way to finish off any fall outfit. I personally love them in a nice tan, but gray or black is perfect too! Throwing on a wool coat is an easy way to pull your outfit together and add a classic touch.

As you can see, dressing cute in the fall isn’t hard at all with these wardrobe basics! Just by throwing on a flannel or slipping on some loafers, you can easily take your outfit to the next level. Happy fall y’all!

Image sources:

1 / 2  / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7

(Rep image from Jessannkirby.com)

Fashion Merchandising and Design at Virginia Tech. Class of 2019.
Kaley Roshitsh

Virginia Tech '18

After graduating with a B.S. in Fashion Merchandising and Design from Virginia Tech in 2018, Kaley moved to NYC to start her career with WWD – the authority on the fashion, beauty and retail industries. She is credited with the relaunch of Her Campus at Virginia Tech in 2016, serving as Campus Correspondent for 2 years, building the team to 55+ members while earning multiple Pink chapter level statuses (top-20% of over 330 chapters) and being awarded "Outstanding Organization of the Year" in 2018 at Virginia Tech. Other notable achievements include the annual "Media Mixer" gala and buildout of many strategic content initiatives.