Fall Fashion: Outerwear

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Fall is the fashionista’s dream season; crisp sunny days call for more layers, which means more clothes and more outfit combinations. But an unimpressive, generic jacket can easily crush the flawlessly layered look you were going for. Think of these outerwear choices as the cherry on top of your perfectly layered outfit!

The Quilted Jacket
This may or may not be the it jacket for fall. You might have seen a few last fall, but it will be everywhere soon. It’s lighter in weight, but its quilted fabric still provides the warmth you need on cool fall days. Its equestrian vibe pairs perfectly with your leather-riding boots and easy (without being bulky) to throw on for class. Go with traditional colors in this jacket, but avoid navy (paired with jeans and you’ll just look like a navy blob).

Quilted Belted Jacket from gap.com, $98

Quilted Riding Jacket from llbean.com, $129

[ pagebreak ]

The Puffer Vest
Over sweaters, long sleeve shirts, even over long sleeve t-shirts, this provides just that extra bit of warmth that you need for fall and can still be completely casual. It’s like your favorite down winter coat with out the bulky sleeves– just keeps your core warm. The puffer vest can be done in either a neutral color to match everything or a bright color for a fun pop of color.

Excursion Quilted Vest from jcrew.com, $110

Quilted Frost-Free Vest from oldnavy.com, $29

[ pagebreak ]

The Trench Coat
I firmly believe that your hemlines should match. That is, if you are wearing a dress or tunic/ leggings combo, you should be wearing a coat that comes pretty darn close to matching the hemline of the layer below it. The trench coat is the perfect length for these outfits! You won’t have any awkward longer layers sticking out underneath. You can’t go wrong with the traditional khaki trench coat and its one of our 10 must-have pieces in your wardrobe.

Factory Classic Trench from jcrew.com/factory
, $148

Classic Trench from asos.com, $66.40

[ pagebreak ]

The Pea Coat
This really is truly a classic that will carry you right into winter. If you don’t already have one of these in your closet, don’t worry we’re here to help you make the right choice. There isn’t really a wrong way to go with pea coat as long as you choose a flattering fit and a solid color.

Factory Wool Walking Coat from jcrew.com/factory, $158

Classic Wool-Blend Coat from oldnavy.com, $52.50

[ pagebreak ]

Wild Cards
The Barn Jacket. Now we know what you’re thinking, “this looks like my mother’s jacket.” Give this canvas jacket a try and you’ll love it. It’s a classic jacket that has never gone out of style. This season it’s alluding at that equestrian style we all love. Paired with a button-up and your leather riding boots and you have an easy, polished, classic look.

Adirondack Barn Coat, Flannel Lined from llbean.com, $79

[ pagebreak ]

Wild Cards
The Cape. For the fashionably fearless, we recommend trying the cape this fall. Balance the fullness of the cape with skinny jeans. We recommend taking off the removable fur on this one until winter hits.

Fur Military Cape from gap.com, $128

Caitlin is a senior Professional Writing major. Besides Her Campus, she is the Internal Social Chairwoman for Gamma Phi Beta Sorority. She loves the beach, animals, shopping, yoga, and Hokie football!