Fall back to basics

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Fall collections have officially hit stores and we’re noticing a comeback of popular basic shapes and styles that are easy to mix, match, and layer. Even the patterns this fall are staying sweet and simple, including polka dots and stripes.

The Denim:
Fall= Back-to-School= Denim. Nothing says fall more than denim and it’s featured in almost every store’s fall line. The material transitions perfectly from late summer to fall, and this year your favorite basic denim is in color! But denim is making a return elsewhere in fashion as well; the chambray shirt, the denim jacket, and the denim dress, are all huge trends for fall.

Keeper Chambray Shirt from jcrew.com, $78

The Button- Up:
These can quickly and easily become your go-to shirts. Many stores are highlighting the “boyfriend” or “favorite” oxford for fall in all different colors. They are perfect for layering and are easy to throw on and still look polished. For going out, try a chiffon, blousy button-up in a fun color or print, and don’t forget a bold statement necklace!

AE Chiffon Poet Blouse from ae.com, $29.99

The Crewneck Knit:
Basic knits in simple shapes are major staples in this year’s fall lines. Every store seems to have their own take on the striped crewneck long sleeve tee, which is simple and comfy without being boring. We know you’ve been waiting for the first significant drop in temperature to break out your sweaters. Sweater weather is better weather, right? Well, the basic layering piece is back for fall and this time in dots and stripes. The crewneck sweater can easily be paired with a scarf or layered over an oxford.

Striped Crewneck Top from gap.com, $29.95

Megan is a sophomore at Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, Virginia. She is pursuing her B.A. in Communications with a concentration in Multimedia Journalism as well as a B.A. in Spanish Language. She is also pursuing a minor in Creative Writing. Megan updates her personal blog daily, and had a weekly blog as a Contributing Blogger for Her Campus Virginia Tech during her freshman year. As a dedicated member of Alpha Delta Pi sorority, Megan serves as the official blogger. Megan's interest in journalism began with her involvement with her high school's newspaper; where she served as an assistant section editor and a section editor her sophomore and junior years. She was the managing editor her senior year. In her free time, Megan enjoys running and competing in races, reading on her Kindle, and taking photos.