This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

I have always considered myself a happy person. Growing up, I received the “Sunshine Paper Plate” award from my lacrosse team time and time again. I was constantly the friend who cheered everyone else up. I was joyfully independent and rarely answered anyone. However, every winter I would find myself feeling abnormally low, less motivated and certainly paler — yikes. But, when the time the flowers of spring would bloom, I would retreat back to my typical self. 

It’s no secret that Blacksburg tends to be rainy around this time of year, which means my entire mood will naturally sink. On Sunday, I’ll look at the weather forecast, and if it’s supposed to rain all week, I’ll instantly feel no motivation to work out, participate in my classes or even do the smallest things I’d normally find exciting. I catch myself saying, “Oh, I’m just in my usual funk. I hate the rain, let me allow the rest of my day to be terrible.” Getting out of my usual routine catalyzes a trickle-down effect of issues to overcome in the following weeks. But, why should we settle? It’s never too late to snap out of a dreary mood. 

Through the years, I’ve gathered some helpful mechanisms to help myself come out of the funks I often get into. Why should we accept being in a funk? No matter what the weather conditions are, here are a few ways I help myself.

Cheer someone else up

This is by far my number one trick for cheering myself up, and it’s none other than something my own mother taught me. Whenever I feel sad, I normally go and buy myself flowers. While I love the way white roses look on my desk, I’ve realized I love making others feel special much more; so recently, I’ve started to buy other people flowers. When I catch myself getting down on myself, I call someone I love. I wholeheartedly believe in the law of attraction — which essentially means the energy you put into the world will come full circle. Not only does showing your appreciation for someone else make you feel good, it also spreads positive vibes.

Listen to “A Note To Self” podcast by Payton Sartain

This is my favorite new podcast. I normally go for a podcast on health or business tips, but when I know my mental health needs extra attention, I turn this one on. Payton Sartain hosts the show and she’s become a huge role model for me, not only because of her impressive independence but also for her confidence. She stresses the importance of finding your “home” within yourself and explains how being by herself has given her the self-assurance she believes every person needs. As Sartain once said, “your life is a canvas.” We choose how to paint our canvases, deciphering between colors, people, designs and choices. Her advice is inspirational to say the least, so the next time you’re walking or driving, rain or shine, give this podcast a listen.

Do a yoga workout

Whenever the weather disappoints me, I catch myself feeling antsy. I normally workout outdoors and walk to my classes — using any excuse to go outside — so when in the unfortunate event of rain that I can’t go outside, I get anxious. That’s exactly why I went and bought myself a yoga mat to start doing yoga on my own. Because I’m not a trained yogi, I often play a yoga YouTube video and get to it. My favorite is “Yoga with Adriene,” of course.

cook a new recipe

Cooking is one of the most relaxing and rewarding things I can do for myself. The process invigorates me with energy and the food brings even more. Whenever I try a new recipe, I feel productive and as though I’m trying something new. My need for energy from the sun decreases when I can get it from the wonderful recipes of the world.

paint

This is definitely not the first time I’ve discussed how much I appreciate painting. It’s funny; painting produces art, but the actual process of painting is art in itself. Expressing myself in a healthy way invites new emotions — good and not so great — but it allows for self-growth. I’m not Picasso, so my work isn’t exactly of any monetary value at all. Painting the piece itself brings me so much joy.

I’m no therapist, but I do know a thing or two about seasonal depression or being in a funk. Too often do we accept our negative feelings and allow them to control us, but why do we do this? After all, it’s mind over matter. While you may not feel sunshine and rainbows right after doing one of these activities, you’re working on yourself for yourself. Self-growth is something to be proud and happy about.

The next time you’re feeling down, try one of these tricks, and I’m positive you’ll be on the fast track out of whatever funk you’re in.

Taylor Walsh

Virginia Tech '23

Hi everyone! I'm Taylor Walsh and I'm a Professional and Technical Writing major here at Tech. I'm from Bristow, Virginia--about 40 minutes south of D.C. In addition to writing, I love painting, traveling, and hanging out with friends and family!