Style > Beauty

Edie Bartmann Does Makeup For College Students And It’s Totally Worth Every Penny

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Sometimes the perfect face of makeup can make us feel like we’re ready to take on the world, and Edie Bartmann knows just how to create that perfect look. What started as a love for makeup expanded into Edie becoming a freelance makeup artist. She eventually brought her skills to campus and started offering makeup sessions to students for a super low cost.

How did your love for makeup begin?

I’ve been watching YouTube beauty gurus for as long as I can remember. I remember sitting in my room and practicing winged eyeliner with a purple smokey eye in middle school. Some of my favorite YouTubers are Jaclyn Hill and Desi Perkins.

What was your experience being a freelance makeup artist?

I loved being a freelance makeup artist. I was a freelance makeup artist for three years. Seeing the reaction from my clients and the little boost of confidence that my work gives them is the most amazing feeling. Especially when I do makeup for women who never really do their own makeup and don’t know much about it. I always get the most excited reactions from them!

What are some of the makeup products you swear by?

That’s a tough question. I love makeup, and there are so many amazing brands out there. I’ve found that you can find some amazing products at all price ranges. Some of my staple makeup products are: “Dior Nude Air” foundation, Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz, Becca highlighters, “Better Than Sex” waterproof mascara and the Kat Von D Shade + Light Contour Palette. My ultimate favorite eyeshadow brand is Makeup Geek; It’s better quality than MAC for the fraction of the price.

How did you learn to do makeup professionally?

I started really learning makeup once I started doing it on other people. Once I started doing makeup on my friends with a variety of different facial features, I began learning the more technical side of makeup, and that is what has helped me grow and expand on my skills.

I learned what products work best for people with dry skin, combination skin and oily skin. I also started learning techniques to use on different eye shapes.

How do you decide what price to charge your clients?

My prices for college students are usually at a fraction of the cost that I would usually charge as a freelance makeup artist. I charge $10 base price for a more natural look, and then an extra $5 for the bonus package which allows my clients to add on false lashes, winged liner and contouring. People have told me that they come to me not only because of my work, but also because of my prices. I like to keep in mind that we’re all here for our education, and an education is expensive. I would hate for my clients to shy away from being pampered and feeling special for the night because of the price.

So, if you want your makeup slayed for the night, definitely make an appointment with Edie Bartmann. She has a sign-up sheet for every month and clients can contact her through text with any questions they have.

Image Sources: Images courtesy of Edie Bartmann

ayveri lane

Virginia Tech

Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!