Easy (and cheap!) recipes for college kids

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

So maybe you live off campus and hate stalking people as they walk to their cars in the Squires lot. Maybe you had one too many Spicy Asian wraps from West End and your parents won’t put more money on your meal plan until the end of the semester. Or maybe, you’re just feeling domestic and want to cook up some dinner for yourself or your friends. Either way, Tech’s campus food is amazing but it can get old. That or we get lazy and too impatient to wait in the lines and fight the crowds of the dinner rush. Most of us college kids don’t have the money or the time to cook elaborate meals that take a few hours to make. Here are some easy recipes to cook up when you’re feeling bored with campus food.

Quick Chili Bake
4 Servings
Estimated cost per serving: $2.15
What you need: 2 (15-oz) boxes low-fat turkey chili with beans (like Hormel), 4-oz can chopped mild green chilies, ½ cup shredded low fat cheddar cheese, 3 reduced-fat refrigerator biscuits (like Pillsbury Perfect Portions)
           1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
           2. Combine chili and chilies into a 1-1/2 quart casserole dish.
           3. Split the biscuits in half lengthwise and lay on top the chili cut side down.
           4. Sprinkle shredded cheese over the top.
           5. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until heated through out.
           If you don’t care about being healthy or want to splurge for a meal, you can skip the turkey chili and                      reducedd fat. Either way, this meal is a spin on classic chili and adds a little kick!

One-Skillet Tex-Mex Fiesta
 6 servings
Estimated Cost per serving: $0.45
What you need:16-oz can original or barbecue baked beans, 15-oz can Mexican style stewed tomatoes, with juice, 11-oz can whole kernel corn (drained), 1-1/2 cups instant brown rice, ¼ cup salsa
Combine all the ingredients, plus 1 cup water into a non-stick skillet. Bring to
a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
This recipe is so easy and quick. If you want to change it up a bit, you could add sour cream to the finished product. If you’re feeling extra creative you could crush tortilla chips and sprinkle them on top. (I recommend lime flavored tortilla chips for a little extra zest!)

Beyond Breakfast Egg Bake 4 Servings

Estimated cost per serving $1.00
What you need:½ (24 oz.) bag frozen Potatoes O’Brien (hashbrowns with onion & green pepper), ½ cup Cheddar cheese (shredded), 5 whole eggs, 3 Tbsp skim milk, Pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375ºF.
2. Spray an 8” by 8” pan with cooking spray.
3. Break up potatoes in the bottom of pan.
4. Sprinkle cheese over the top of potatoes.
5. In a small bowl, beat eggs, milk, and pepper with a fork.
6. Pour egg mixture over the potatoes and cheese.
7. Bake uncovered for 35 minutes or until eggs are set (no liquid).
The college kid’s breakfast casserole: this easy dish is perfect for a Sunday brunch or relaxing on a Saturday.       The hash browns may have just enough grease to cure whatever fun you had the night before. 

Easy Calzones
Estimated cost per serving: $1.10  
What you need: 2 loaf frozen bread dough thawed, 1/2 pound sliced ham, 1/2 pound sliced hard salami, 2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, 1 cup jarred marinara sauce
1. Roll each loaf of dough into a rectangle about 8 inches by 12 inches.
2. Layer ham and salami down the center of each rolled loaf lengthwise.
3. Top meats with 1 cup shredded mozzarella for each roll.
4. Fold short ends of each loaf in about 1/2 inch and seal. Roll from the long sides and pinch well to                   seal the entire loaf. You should have 2 long rolls.
 5. Bake, seam side down on a greased baking sheet in a 375 degree F oven for 20 minutes or until golden              brown.
 6. Cut each roll into 8 slices and serve with marinara for dipping.

Perfect for a Saturday tailgate to see Tech whoop UVA!

Laura Baugh

Virginia Tech

Laura Baugh is a senior at Virginia Tech where she is double majoring in Communications and Film. When not busy with school, Laura enjoys editing film and video, being the general manager at VTTV, spending time with her amazing sisters in Gamma Phi Beta, playing her guitar, and reading Her Campus! She is also obsessed with her school's athletics. Go Hokies!