This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Easter is a day that’s normally filled with family traditions, and since this is my first Easter away from home, I decided to make a list of activities for any college student that can’t be home to celebrate with their families. 

Have Dinner with your friends

Are you used to having an Easter dinner with your family? Grab your friends who couldn’t go home and plan an Easter meal together. Each of you can bring your own dish and make it extra special. My favorite Easter dish are the rolls — you can’t go wrong with rolls. 

Have an Egg hunt

I know we’re college students, but who doesn’t like a little competition? You can do a regular egg hunt just for the fun of it, or you can turn it into a competition with your friends. Plan it so that whoever gets the most eggs gets to pick the next movie you watch, gets aux in the car next or something else that any of you would benefit from. The winner gets to pick from whatever prizes you choose.

Go outside

If the weather’s supposed to be nice, go outside with your friends. You can rent bikes and go for a bike ride, sit out and tan or play games. Even a walk around campus would be fun. My favorite thing to do when the weather’s nice is to grab a book and read outside. 

Have some alone time

Sometimes we need to take a little time for ourselves, and this is a good time for that. Take a little time out of the day for yourself. During this time you can take a nap, watch a movie, listen to some music or go for a drive around town. I know this semester has been rough, so I always like to relax when I can.

Call your family

The last activity on my list would be to call or FaceTime your family. If you normally spend the day together but you can’t be with them in person this Easter, then talking to them on the phone might bring you some joy. This is my first year not spending Easter at home, and it’s also my first year not seeing my little brother for his birthday, so I know I’ll be calling my family on Easter. 

I’m so excited for Easter because even though I won’t be spending it with my family, I get to spend it with someone I care about, and that makes it all the more special. 

Today also happens to be my little brother’s birthday, so I dedicate this to him. Thomas, I wish you the happiest of birthdays. I can’t believe you’re six years old now. Stop growing up please.

Katie Tuggle

Virginia Tech '25

Hi, my name is Katie and I'm a senior majoring in psychology. I love being around my friends and family, chasing sunsets, listening to music, and driving around. I am so happy to be a part of the Her Campus writing team because I feel like I have found a place where my voice gets heard. Her Campus allows me to tell my stories without being interrupted and it gives me a place to be my true self.