Dress Well Test Well: How to Ace the Exam in Style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

I’m what you call an occasion dresser. The mint green tea length, floral organza dress will be worn to the garden party I hope to attend before I secure permanence in the working world. The velvet blazer dress with the slightly-padded shoulder will be worn to the formal networking event to display authority but also communicate, “I like to have fun within reason.” The cropped chinos and white button-up with heeled booties seem like the only intelligent response for the group presentation and exam on Tuesday, if I want to be taken seriously.

To an extent, we all have expectations in clothing whether we realize it or not. These expectations by ourselves and others can have an incredible impact on our performance in a related role. So, what am I saying? — I’m saying maybe you should think twice before rolling out of bed in a questionably stained sleepshirt and grubby sweatpants come exam week. (No hate to your beloved pajamas, this is sensationalism at work.)

This theory is called enclothed cognition and it is the scientific answer to all of our yearning questions of why what we wear matters at all in context, justifying how the perceptions of dress impact actual role performance. In a study published in 2012 by Professor Adam D. Galinsky and Hajo Adam, this theory gained substantial credibility in one of three experiments which showed that participants who wore white doctor’s lab coats performed with half as many errors as those who did not wear them, demonstrating the symbolic importance of clothes and the meaning derived from wearing them.

So, the way I see it; yes, study for your exams in abundance, but don’t roll out of bed in your pajamas to take said exams. This is a regressive action in all of your studying that obviously won’t drastically ruin your chances of a good grade, but it matters. It matters so much, that people like myself feel it necessary to provide a few guiding tips! Read on.

A+ Tip #1: Dress confidently with an air of professionalism  

A+ Tip #2: Polish up your posture.

A+ Tip #3: Master your mental mantras.

As long as you are matching perceived performance with expectations in clothing, you are taking the necessary steps towards acing that exam. Dress well and test well collegiettes!

Image Sources: 1 | 2 | 3

Kaley Roshitsh

Virginia Tech '18

After graduating with a B.S. in Fashion Merchandising and Design from Virginia Tech in 2018, Kaley moved to NYC to start her career with WWD – the authority on the fashion, beauty and retail industries. She is credited with the relaunch of Her Campus at Virginia Tech in 2016, serving as Campus Correspondent for 2 years, building the team to 55+ members while earning multiple Pink chapter level statuses (top-20% of over 330 chapters) and being awarded "Outstanding Organization of the Year" in 2018 at Virginia Tech. Other notable achievements include the annual "Media Mixer" gala and buildout of many strategic content initiatives.