sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Cuffing Season is Over…I Think?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Spring has sprung and summer is right around the corner, and with summer comes the end of cuffing season. If you don’t know cuffing season is, it is a period of dating or “talking” that starts in the fall/early winter and extends into the spring. Now you may end up falling in love and starting a long term relationship; but, if you’re like a majority of the younger population then come spring time you’ll probably start to part ways.

The whole idea behind cuffing season is to give you a person to watch football games with, cuddle when it’s cold, watch cute holiday movies, freeze your butt off looking at Christmas lights and all the other fun and cute activities that the fall and winter seasons hold. No one wants to be alone in the winter so it makes you feel good to have someone to warm up with on a cold day. However, once the weather starts to warm up things change.

Summer is sundress season, the time of year where girls break out their cute dresses, shorts and bikinis that make all the guys stop, stare, and sometimes drool. It’s the time for trips with your friends and adventures that you’ll remember for the rest of your life. It makes so much sense that people wouldn’t want to be tied down in the summer. Freedom to do what you want is everything a young person wants.

On the other hand, you can still have freedom when you’re with someone. To be completely honest, freedom is even greater when you’re with someone because you can be yourself and they’ll think you’re the most amazing girl they’ve ever met. You can go on cute dates, road trips or just sit at home until it gets dark enough to run around and catch fireflies. You have someone to take cliche summer pictures with sparklers, railroad tracks (this is dangerous please don’t do it), sunsets and beaches, and more.

Maybe it’s just me but I feel like the summer is one of the best times to be with someone because you have more time. There’s so many things you can do with that person. In the winter you’re so limited in what you can do and if you’re in a small college town, that can limit your options even more. So cuffing season is officially coming to a close, but I would suggest that before ending things simply because a social media-based season is over, you take a few weeks to do some fun summer activities and see if you really like the person you’re with. Who knows, maybe you’ll find out some new things that you love about this person.

Image Sources:

All gifs from Giphy.com, cover image

Ashleigh Griffin

Virginia Tech '19

Ashleigh is a graduate from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University.  She received a Bachelor's of Science in Food Science and Technology. Her future career will hopefully combine both her knowledge of the food industry and the importance of marketing and brand management. 
Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!