Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Cuffing Season Date Ideas for the Cheap College Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

It’s that time of year again; when the winds get cold and drinks get hotter, Christmas music is just around the corner, and you’re looking for that special someone to spend the holidays with.

Cuffing season.

Unfortunately, not all of those interested in meeting their match go about it in the right way: insisting on a night of Netflix and Chill or drinks downtown, two very common signs that maybe cuffing isn’t exactly what that person had in mind. But, if you’re looking to stand out from the crowd with a lasting impression of a fabulously fun first date, then look no further.

Franks Cinema – The Tuesday Deal

Since the rise of online movie streaming, the idea of going on a movie date has become increasingly less popular. Why spend $12 on a ticket when you can watch one for free? It’s not about the spending of money, but the experience of driving to the theater together, getting to know each other, holding hands in the dark, and talking about how awesome that new Marvel movie was afterwards. Luckily enough, Franks Theatres holds a special all-day deal every Tuesday called “Tightwad Tuesdays” for those who are still skeptical about the price (just @ me next time, Franks). For just $6 a piece, one can see any movie (other than IMAX) while enjoying a half priced popcorn as well. Just think, instead of spending that $6 on a Pumpkin Spice Latte that lasts less than fifteen minutes, you can have a fun evening with a cute boy.

Rising Silo Brewery

Located off of Glade Road in Blacksburg, the Rising Silo Brewery is the perfect place for those who enjoy taste testing flights of delicious beer, listening to funky folk music, and enjoying gorgeous scenery. You’re especially in for a treat if you attend Friday or Saturday nights, when they have local bands strumming to your heart’s content.

Montgomery County Animal Shelter – Dog Walking

Have you ever heard of the articles such as “If He Loves Dogs, Love Him” or “Twenty-Five Reasons He’s Perfect” and half of reasons are because he’s a dog lover? There’s a pattern there, one that has proven to be true time and time again. Now, imagine being able to test this theory out without having to even own a dog? With the help of the Montgomery County Animal Care and Adoption Center, you and your choice of man can go on a dog-walking date for free! Just sign up as volunteers and let the walking do the talking. Everyone feels less awkward around fuzzy friends, especially ones that are definitely looking for love as well. Plus, who knows? You might meet your own furrever best friend if the date doesn’t work out.

Golden Hill’s Disc Golf Course

If you’re not too uncomfortable with a small trek through the woods or exerting any sort of energy, then Frisbee golf is the way to go! Right next door to the Montgomery County Animal Care and Adoption Center, this would be the perfect follow-up to an afternoon of fun in the sun. Enjoy the beautiful foliage while undertaking a (somewhat) non-competitive sport. Tried and true, this is a perfect time for those who love a little exercise and the outdoors.

Fall Hike at Mountain Lake

Are you a fan of Dirty Dancing (the movie, don’t get any twisted ideas)? Love chilly fall hikes and the colors of fall? Need a new picture for your Instagram and need someone to accompany you on your adventure? Then the Mountain Lake Lodge would be the perfect spot for you and your date! Enjoy a romantic walk throughout the lodge and look across what is left of Mountain Lake, follow the Bald Knob trail to a gorgeous overlook fit for a king, or go at night and enjoy the starry skies that lay far away from the overly bright lights of Lane Stadium. I will be the first to say that I’ve brought at least one date up there and have had a wonderful time with an area that’s almost too easy to explore; the two of you would have hours on end of fun.

Launching Pad Trampoline Park

Located in Salem, the Launching Pad Trampoline Park is a great way to burn some calories, have your man literally do backflips for you, and showcase your goofy side. With trampolines, dodgeball, dunking and jousting pit, launch pad, arcade, rope ladder, and bumper cars, bring out your charming inner kid and show your date what he needs in a woman, all for a price cheaper than the one in Christiansburg.

Cox’s Golf Driving Range

The nice thing about golf is that there are very few people that are actually good at it, while most are just decent with somewhat limited experience. That’s why a driving range is also another great pick from this list, because when both of you are mediocre, laughter is bound to follow. Test out the driving range if the two of you feel like hitting around a few balls without worrying about aim, or for those who are less adventurous with a club, try the mini-golf course! Full of fun chances for prizes with a side of healthy competition, maybe even make a bet on who will win with the loser buying dinner.

Whitebarrel Winery

If beer isn’t your thing and you require something slightly fancier than the Rising Silo, then try out the Whitebarrel Winery in Christiansburg! Taste test scrumptious dark reds and light whites while pairing them with godly cheese platters for a fun Friday night activity. Maybe even buy a bottle of something yummy and take it back to the apartment, cook up some pasta, and enjoy a homemade Italian meal made for two.

Blacksburg Shooting Range

For those who have bonded over the second amendment, then this date is for you. Located off of 460 over on Craig Creek Road, take an afternoon off from school and blast way targets whilst picturing them as every exam you’ve taken this semester. This kind of activity not only showcases your strong spirit and the fact that you know how to protect yourself, but also provides for an exciting afternoon full of blowing things up. What more could you ask for?

But remember, if none of these ideas work out, then forget about the cuffing and grab a bottle of wine. Wine will never disappoint you.

GIFs from giphy.com

Christina Kass

Virginia Tech '20

A multimedia journalism major with a flair for cinematography. Blacksburg native with supreme Hokie spirit. #VT2020