Cooking in College: The Basics

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

I am extremely embarrassed to admit this, but I did not learn how to make scrambled eggs until my sophomore year in high school. My mother is a fantastic cook, and I definitely took advantage of that until the last possible second. Four years later, I was in my first apartment off-campus with very limited knowledge of cooking and a quickly depleting meal plan. Here are a few tips that made cooking slightly less terrifying: 

Sheet pans are a lifesaver

This is the simplest way to cook a meal, whether you have protein, vegetables, or a combination of both. Chop your ingredients into bite-sized pieces, lightly toss them in an oil of your choice, spread them evenly across the sheet pan, and pop it into the oven! This will give you plenty of time to accomplish that one task you swore you would do today… or yesterday. One of the first recipes that I made was sheet pan chicken and potatoes with garlic herb butter, and it is my go-to meal! 

Check nearby department chains for kitchen tools

I was able to purchase Kitchen Aid items, such as spatulas and a can opener, from Marshall’s for as low as $3.99. There is no need to spend a fortune on kitchen tools, regardless of how frequently you will use them. That being said, I do recommend looking at brand reviews to determine that you really are getting a bang for your buck. 

Search for recipes that use the same ingredient in multiple ways

Purchase foods that you know you will enjoy while using them to their fullest extent! For example, tomatoes are readily available and can be prepared in what seems like endless ways. From soups to sauces to salads, they are sure to cover all of your bases. Caprese salad is a simple Italian recipe that only calls for seven ingredients, most of which you probably already have in your pantry. 

Join your grocery store’s loyalty programs

Couponing is essential while you stick to a college budget, and mobile apps are the easiest to navigate. While some programs personalize your coupons based on recent purchases, most provide a vast array of coupons that apply to most of their customers. Depending on where you live, fresh produce may be more expensive than what you are used to. I see no harm in trying to save a dollar or two off chicken breasts that will feed you for days on end! 

While I am proud to admit that I have mastered a few recipes, I am nowhere near finished learning how to cook. However, these tips saved me some time and money. Set aside your meal plan for long nights on campus and snacks between classes, and get to cooking! 

Camden Carpenter

Virginia Tech '21

Senior studying Smart and Sustainable Cities, with hopes to become a traveling urban developer. Attemping to embody "Carpe Diem" in her everyday life, both physically by getting a tattoo of the quote, and mentally by taking risks while trying to maximize each day's full potential.