College Ethics: Key Principles for Partying

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Let me give you all a little philosophy lesson real quick, Aristotle produced the first known theoretical dissertation of ethics. He argued that human goodness requires using our rationality to live a life of virtue and thus living the “good life.” Now, growing up we are taught morals and values that we are suppose uphold throughout our lives. Well, college isn’t necessarily real life, right? I mean it’s pretty much fictional- one moment you’re ripping shots at the bar and the next memory you have you’re waking up in your bed.  Sounds like magic to me. Needless to say, I have values; in fact I have a lot of values. But I value booze the most. So the moral of the story is to follow these college ethics and you’ll be golden.

The Golden Rule: We’ve all heard it before, treat others the way you want to be treated. We are talking about reciprocating the favor, people. If you want a free shot you can’t be greedy. Likewise, if you’re the drunk dumba$$ always pulling stupid antics you need to be supportive of everyone else’s as well.  Otherwise, you know what will happen, right? You’ll be the clown with the male appendages drawn across your face with sharpie. Now that’s living the “good life” eh?

Sharing is Caring: It’s not what you want it’s what daddy wants. That’s right, you’re not the one
working 60 hours a week to fork up that college tuition bill and support those drinking habits. Your parents tell you they want you to enjoy this once in a lifetime “experience” so why shouldn’t everyone else too… at the expense of your dad’s income. Rule one of college etiquette- never takes shots alone at the bar. Jeez, its not amateur hour over here. “Excuse me, bartender? A round of shots.”

Courage: Courage is key in college especially if it’s liquid courage. College partying is hard work and exhausting which brings me to my next point.

Motivation: When you think you can’t finish that funnel of beer, just think about the little train that could. “Choo Chooo… Chug-a-lug!” Setting goals will keep you on track and determined on your alcoholic future of success.

Moral Compass:  Finally, whatever you do, do not forget your moral compass. How do you expect to get home when you’re three sheets to the wind? Natural instincts? I don’t think so, use your moral compass. It always comes in handy.

Photo Credit: http://www.collegefashion.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/college-party.jpg

Mallory Smith is a senior Sociology major at Scripps College, located in sunny Claremont, CA. Born in Denver, Colorado, Mallory spent her time growing up between England, China and The United States. As a result, she loves to travel and explore new places and cultures. In Claremont Mallory is editor of the Life and Style section of The Student Life Newspaper. She also writes for Beyond the Elms, Scripps College’s Career Planning and Resources blog, where she is writing about her soon-to-be journey into the real world. In her free time Mallory enjoys going to art galleries in downtown Los Angeles, hiking, going to the beach and scuba diving whenever she gets the chance.