This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

If you’re unaware, Halloween is the best time of the year. To quote L.M. Montgomery, “I’m so glad to live in a world where there are Octobers.” Between candy and costumes, Halloween offers a time to strip yourself of everyday expectations and have some fun. Whether you plan on spending the day out or spending the night in, here are some movies that are going to get you in the mood for Halloween.

“Hocus Pocus” (1993)

By far, this is the most iconic Halloween movie out there. Since being released in 1993, “Hocus Pocus” has been on everyone’s Halloween watch list every year. With such popularity, there’s been speculation that “Hocus Pocus 2” will be released — and Disney has even teased it back in 2019. If you don’t take my word for it, just know that all of the members of Her Campus at Virginia Tech agree that “Hocus Pocus” is the movie to watch.

“Over the Garden wall” (2014)

If you’re looking for a TV series to keep the mood going, check out “Over the Garden Wall.” This 2014 animated series is full of adventure, twists and turns. If you’re looking for a very specific Halloween feel, I suggest watching episode two, “Hard Times at the Huskin’ Bee,” which features the pumpkin king.

“Halloweentown” (1998)

This is a movie I might be biased towards. Growing up on DCOM’s (Disney Channel Original Movies), “Halloweentown” holds a close place in my heart. However, I’m not the only one as reviewers claim “Halloweentown” to be, “one of the best Halloween movies ever.” This is a film that isn’t one to argue over — this is a must watch.

“Halloween” (1978)

If you’re looking for something spooky, this cult classic slasher film is right up your alley. Many reviewed this unnerving horror film as one the most intense and immersive horror films they have watched — ever. Despite its release in 1978, this film still manages to frighten viewers and keep them coming back for more.

“Friday the 13th” (1980)

Another classic, “Friday the 13th” is recommended year after year after year. This iconic 80s film paved the way for other horror and slasher films, with lasting pop culture scenes  and a franchise that has always lived up to the hype. If you want to see a legendary villain, then this is the movie for you.

“Corpse Bride” (2005)

While “Corpse Bride” is on here, it’s really meant that every Tim Burton movie should be watched during October. My must-watch would definitely be “Corpse Bride” and “Coraline,” which both bring on the spooky vibes. Fun fact: “Coraline” wasn’t supposed to be published as a children’s novel until the daughter of Neil Gaiman’s co-worker lied about it not being scary. The rest, as we know, is history.

“Boo! A Madea Halloween” (2016)

If you’re not someone who’s too keen on watching horror movies, this Tyler Perry comedy is a great choice. Considered one of the better Madea films, you’ll be rolling on the floor watching this film. Even if a few reviews call this movie bad, that just makes it even better to watch. Who doesn’t love a bad movie?

“Twitches” (2005)

Once more, we’re back at Disney’s door. While the Mouse House isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, “Twitches” has everything: witches, adventure, early 2000s nostalgia and a driving plot. Plus, Tia and Tamara Mowry are such an iconic pair of twins that you’d be missing out if you didn’t watch it.

“Candyman” (1992)

Despite the 2021 remake, nothing is better than the classic. The 1992 “Candyman” is nothing short of amazing: dark, gloomy, bloody and psychologically questioning. The star of the movie, Tony Todd, is known for his chilling performance as Candyman. If you loved the 2021 remake, definitely take a look at the original.

“An American Werewolf in London” (1981)

This movie is a horror-comedy featuring David Naughton and Griffin Dunne is a great change in pace if you’re looking for something that lessens the horror. Despite its age, many viewers find this to be a classic because of its ability to unsettle audiences and great musical score.

“Fantastic Mr. Fox” (2009)

While this film isn’t strictly Halloween, Wes Anderson’s 2009 film gives us all of the fall vibes. From warm oranges and yellows to the autumn setting, this stop-motion film will always set the mood for fall. This movie is best all season long and great for those who want to enjoy autumn as long as they can.

“The Cabin in the Woods”

A mix of comedy-horror and mystery, many audiences consider this movie an instant classic. What makes this movie so memorable is the satirical nature of the film, making fun of other horror films. Based on reviews, this is definitely a love it or hate it flick — so give it a chance this Halloween.

Whether it’s comedy, horror or animation, hopefully this list has you excited for the Halloween — and autumn — season. I know these will definitely be on my watch list. Have a safe and happy Halloween.

Madi Armstrong

Virginia Tech '23

Madi Armstrong is a senior studying multimedia journalism with minors in Spanish and creative writing. Through writing, she hopes to empower those around her to advocate for what they believe in and to use their experiences in ways to help others. Proud to be part of Her Campus, she hopes to leave a lasting impact and create an environment where everyone feels welcome.