Christmas Movies I’ll Be Watching This Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Thanksgiving is over, so that means it is officially Christmas time! Get on your favorite holiday PJs, crank up some Mariah Carey, and let’s get into what Christmas movies I’ll be watching this season.

I love Christmas movies. Watching them is one of my favorite things to do during the days leading up to Christmas. It gets me in a festive mood and also helps me relax during exam week. So, here’s a list of all the movies I plan on watching this year, maybe it’ll help you organize a Christmas movie night!

1. The Muppet’s Christmas Carol: 

If you aren’t a Muppet fan, probably skip this one but I watch this movie every year, and I love it. It’s just another Christmas Carol movie but it has Muppets and singing. I think it is one of the best Christmas Carol versions but I’m probably biased. Definitely try it! It’s on Disney +. 

1. Falling For Christmas:

I haven’t watched this yet, it just came out this year. It’s going to be one of those cheesy Christmas rom-coms but sometimes that’s all I want so I’m excited about this one. Also, Lindsay Lohan so… I have to watch. This one is on Netflix.

1. Happiest Season: 

This Christmas movie came out in 2020 but I watched it last year. I love it, it has Kristin Stewart and Dan Levy, who I love, in it so I plan to watch it again this year. In the movie, A woman decides she’s going to propose to her girlfriend on Christmas but then finds out her girlfriend hadn’t come out to her family yet. It’s a cute movie and this one is on Hulu. 

1. Home Alone:

Only the first Home Alone because that one is my favorite! It’s a classic and I have to watch it every year. If you don’t know the premise of Home Alone, a kid gets left alone on accident while his family goes on vacation. During this, his house gets invaded and he sets up a series of traps and pranks on the burglars to scare them off. If you haven’t watched this one, definitely try to watch it this year! It’s on Disney +.

1. Elf:

Another Christmas classic that I have to watch every year. I love love love this movie! In the movie, Buddy the Elf accidentally gets picked up by Santa and gets adopted by an elf. He grows up as an elf although he’s human until one Christmas he sets off to find his biological dad who didn’t know he existed. This movie is really funny and it’s a good movie for the whole family (my dad who hates cheesy movies will even watch it with us). This movie is on Amazon Prime. 

1. The Santa Clauses:

This isn’t technically a movie but it’s a show based on the Santa Clause movies, which I love. I have already watched the first three episodes and I will be watching the new episode every week. This is on Disney +. 

There’s for sure going to be more I will be watching but for now, this is my list! I hope this gives you some ideas of what to watch this season!

Emily Barber

Virginia Tech '23

I am a senior at Virginia Tech majoring in English and Creative Writing. If I'm not reading a book, I'm usually crocheting or tending to my plants.