Catching Too Many Zzz’s? How to Stay Awake in Class

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Have you ever found yourself drifting away into dreamland during one of your classes? The material is so boring that you can’t stay awake? Well, unfortunately, this is how some college courses are. The key to staying awake when they seem to drag on for forever is to stay focused, and keep thinking positively. Right now, you’re probably thinking, “How cliché?” but trust me, it really works. Here are a few tips on how to be successful and stay awake in class:
          My first tip for those of you fellow sleepyheads is to get a good night’s sleep. Most college students don’t realize the value and essence of time. We may stay up late well past midnight and not think anything of that at all. We underestimate the amount of time we need to sleep which is not beneficial to keeping your eyes open during those long lectures. Especially come fall semester when are minds and bodies are used to staying up late and watching TV until we have no choice but to fall asleep. It’s time to get back into the academic game and successfully get the rest your body and mind have been craving. Make sure you go to bed close to the same time every night, even if you’re really not that tired yet. This will help you to get up and feeling more refreshed in the morning, thereby staying awake in class. You may also want to take a short nap in between classes to heighten your energy boost for your next class. Believe me, it works.
          Another helpful tip would be to what many of us are afraid to do – sit in the front of the class. Knowing that your professor will be keeping an eye on you throughout class time is a great motivator to stay awake and alert. If you sit in front of the class, you will automatically be more engaged in the lesson and more attentive when asked to answer questions. I, personally, sit in the front row of all my classes. It helps me to stay awake and focus on what the professor is discussing. Sitting in the back of the class only allows for you to become preoccupied with distractions. You may find yourself looking at someone else’s Facebook page or glancing at somebody winning a game of Mario Kart. All of these types distractions will significantly hinder your attention to both the professor and the lesson. By the time you come back from la-la land and you finally do decide to chime in and listen to the professor, you’re lost because you haven’t been paying enough attention. This causes for confusion that leads to boredom, thus leaving you with a small puddle of drool on your forearm. If you elect to sit in the front of the classroom, there is nothing readily accessible to break your attention from the day’s lesson.
          Another way to make the class seem more fun (no matter how boring the material may be that day) would be to simply apply yourself. My mom always tells me that, “class is as fun as I make it out to be.” By no means am I saying become the class clown; I’m saying that if you apply yourself to the information being taught, you might actually find it to be interesting. As an example, I’m currently registered in Communication Law and Ethics. When I added the course I thought it was going to be the most boring class I’ve ever taken. Surprisingly, since classes have began, I have actually found it to be very interesting. I sit in the front row and learn all about the challenges journalists face when dealing with the law, etc. Not only do I hear what the professor is saying; I listen to what he is saying. It makes a huge difference when you can take the information learned in class and can apply it to your own situations. This tip goes especially to juniors and seniors who are taking classes that are in their specified major – be excited about learning new things!
          Overall, the best advice I can give to you all is to maintain a positive outlook every day. Some of us don’t really know how much of an impact our attitude has on our outlook on life, especially regarding classes. If you go into a class thinking it’s going to be boring, you’ll probably find yourself falling asleep. And why wouldn’t you? You’ve already convinced yourself that you will not enjoy the class. Keep your head up. Strive to get good grades. Focus on the lectures, take notes, and apply yourself. This may be easier said than done; however, it can be done.

Laura Baugh

Virginia Tech

Laura Baugh is a senior at Virginia Tech where she is double majoring in Communications and Film. When not busy with school, Laura enjoys editing film and video, being the general manager at VTTV, spending time with her amazing sisters in Gamma Phi Beta, playing her guitar, and reading Her Campus! She is also obsessed with her school's athletics. Go Hokies!