Campus Celebrity: Meet Ryan Niblock, Male Member at Large for the VT Class of 2019

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

The upcoming presidential election has dominated the media for as long as we can remember, as we all try pick the lesser of evils. However, here at Virginia Tech, the freshman class recently held their own election — one that had many good candidates! We congratulate Ryan Niblock on becoming the Class of 2019’s Male Member at Large. Ryan is a multimedia journalism major and also going for a cognate in marketing. We sat down with Ryan to get to know the man entrusted with the sacred duty of designing his class’ ring and his journey to that position.

What made you choose to attend Virginia Tech?

That’s a funny story—I hated Virginia Tech for a long time. I hated it. I did a couple track meets here and I only saw the athletic side and I didn’t see the rest of campus, which is probably why I didn’t like it so much. Then I came and visited a friend on a Sunday, it was like the most lame Sunday ever, but everyone here was so down to earth and cool and I realized how at home I felt here. So I decided to come here and it was the best decision I have ever made. I love it, love it here.

What is your favorite place to eat on campus?

So I spend most of my time at Owens, just because I meet with a lot of people at Owens, but I would have to say that West End or Turner would be my favorite.

What has been your favorite memory from freshman year?

That’s a tough one. I have a couple, I think they are in the different categories of what I am involved in. I definitely think that working on Ring Dance was one of my favorite memories. Getting to a part of that, behind the scenes. Then, as part of SGA, I’m part of FLEX (Freshman Leadership Experience). We went on a retreat this spring, I just got back from it this last weekend and that was one of the best memories… because everyone in that organization has become like my best friend so it was a really good time. And at same time, I don’t want to speak for my full freshman year yet, because I know I am going to have a lot more great memories to come before the end of the year. It’s a work in progress, I’d say.

Who is your greatest inspiration? How have they impacted you?

I want to say Tim O’Brien, for the fact that I want to become a journalist from following his work. But at the same time, as a person, I want to say my uncle and my grandfather—my big role models on how to be a good man. So I think, at the core of me, I would say my father-figures, like them.

How did you first become involved with the Student Government Association (SGA) at Virginia Tech?

So it was through Flex. Someone from G.E.R.M.A.N. Club told me to apply for it, so I did on a whim. I didn’t really know what it was, but once I got in, I realized how awesome it was and it got me involved in everything else…I am in the legislative branch of SGA now and I’m also on The Student Alumni Committee in SGA. So it’s helped to branch me out a lot, but it started with FLEX. You see, FLEX’s job is to branch everyone out and get them involved, so it worked out well for me.

What inspired you to decide to run for “Male Member at Large”?

It was FLEX, definitely FLEX, and I know the Male Member at Large now and I know a lot of the other class officers and it seemed like something I wanted to get involved in. 

What do your duties as “Male Member at Large” include?

The reason I wanted to do it was because of the ring tradition we have here, which I think is awesome. So this gives me the chance to be a part of designing the ring, that’s kind of what my job is as Male Member at Large. I’m really excited to be in the room when it’s decided how it looks and work with it and work with the class for it. Then, when everyone is wearing their ring, I can know that I helped design it and I think that’s kind of cool.

Tell us a little more about FLEX!

So a lot of people don’t know what FLEX is, actually some people came to the meeting thinking that it was a weightlifting class—which it’s not. Basically, they get 15 guys and 15 girls that are all very driven, very enthusiastic, very optimistic and get us to become best friends. Then they want us all to get involved,  so they groom us to become future leaders at Tech and get any opportunities to us quickly, if anything new is starting on campus, and come to us first to see if we want to get involved before they go out to the general public—which is really cool. It’s like a stepping stone to everything else. But everyone in FLEX hangs out together, we are all best friends, which is the best thing about it.

Allison Rathert

Virginia Tech '19

Allison is Criminology Major at Virginia Tech, also minoring in Business and National Security & Foreign Affairs. She is obsessed with coffee, chocolate, old movies, writing, photography, animals, and spontaneous adventures!
Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!