This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

In the last three months of the year, it feels like the holiday season hits us constantly. From Halloween, Diwali and Thanksgiving to Hanukkah and Christmas, everyone is celebrating something for one reason or another. As December begins, it’s the perfect time to crack open a book — or two — and enjoy a few holiday-themed novels.

“My True Love gave to me: twelve holiday stories” by various authors

Whether it’s Winter Solstice, Christmas or Hanukkah, these 12 stories give you the perfect opportunity to stay in and curl up by a warm fire. Twelve stories from 12 different young adult authors join together to deliver amazing holiday tales for everyone, and each of these are edited by Stephanie Perkins.

“a holly jolly diwali” by sonya lalli

While Diwali was celebrated in early November, there is no reason to stop the celebration. This romance novel takes you across the globe, following a protagonist looking to change her life. Set in India during the festival of lights, you’ll find yourself drawn to the story of an unforeseen romance and the adventure it leads to.

“seven spools of thread: a kwanzaa story” by angela shelf medearis and illustrated by daniel minter

With almost five stars in every review, “Seven Spools of Thread” offers important life lessons through the use of folktales. Between the beautiful illustrations and the seven principles, Medearis effortlessly weaves the story together with tradition and shows a great understanding of the holiday.

“the afterlife of holly chase” by cynthia hand

A less traditional holiday story, this tale is about Holly Chase, a woman visited by three spirits about her selfish ways and told to change. Of course, she doesn’t and dies. As the story progresses, this retelling of “A Christmas Carol” follows the protagonist as she tries to convince others of what she couldn’t: change.

“the yiddish policemen’s chase” by michael chabon

An homage to 1940s noir and a mix of genres, Chabon takes you on an Alaskan adventure that takes place in a Jewish district on the panhandle. After a murder, the protagonist is determined to solve the case despite superiors telling him it’s bound to close.

“this time next year” by sophie cousens

What’s better than a New Year’s Eve romance? The main protagonist, Minnie, has always been unlucky, and it all started with the guy who was born mere minutes before her, Quinn. However, as they run into each other on their 30th birthday, she can’t help finding herself wanting more. Ring in the New Year with this love story.

This holiday season, enjoy a good book — whatever the occasion.

Madi Armstrong

Virginia Tech '23

Madi Armstrong is a senior studying multimedia journalism with minors in Spanish and creative writing. Through writing, she hopes to empower those around her to advocate for what they believe in and to use their experiences in ways to help others. Proud to be part of Her Campus, she hopes to leave a lasting impact and create an environment where everyone feels welcome.