This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Blacksburg offers a plethora of indoor and outdoor activities. While the Huckleberry Trail offers a stunning hike, there are many other surrounding beautiful trails. Perhaps this winter, you can seek out these beautiful views.

Roaring Run Hoop Hole Trail

Located an hour and a half from downtown Blacksburg, Roaring Run is considered an easy trail. While it’s best for beginners, it’s one everyone can enjoy. The trail is 1.7 miles long and features a beautiful waterfall. Hikers all agree that this is a great place for hiking if you’re looking for an easier trip. With streams and forestry galore, this hike is definitely worth the drive. Lastly, this trail is accessible all year long and dogs are welcomed to join as long as they’re on a leash.

Cascades

The Cascades are a staple for anyone at Virginia Tech. Located 30 minutes away, there are two trails you can take and are considered a moderate hike. At the top of the hike, there’s a beautiful waterfall. The hike is around four or five miles with scenic views all around. However, this trail can be icy so it’s recommended to have proper shoes and snow grips for traction. Also, there is a $3 parking fee.

Bald Knob Trail

Another classic, this trail is about a 30 minute drive from Blacksburg. This hike is less than a mile, and there are views for miles at the top. Big bonus: there’s flat rocks at the top for the greatest photos. This hike is quite steep and rocky, which is why the locals consider this hike to be moderate. As one person put it, “Short but super steep, so prepare to get your heart rate up.”

McAfee Knob

Roughly eight miles, McAfee Knob features stunning panoramic views of the Blue Ridge Mountains. While best used between April and November, hikers still recommend this as a winter hike as long as you have the proper equipment. If you’re looking for an easier route, try the fire road. It still promises gorgeous views.

Sharp Top Trails

If you’re looking for a real challenge, drive two hours towards Bedford and check out Sharp Top Trails. Despite a few icy and snowy patches, hikers love this trail. Around 3.3 miles, there are opportunities to see wildlife and a shuttle service for those who need it. If you’re wanting a shorter hike, everyone is welcome to stop at Buzzard’s Roost.

This winter, try something new and check out local hiking trails. Remember a few tips: keep plenty of water and snacks on you, make sure you have the proper equipment, and prepare well. Most importantly, practice leaving no trace and be mindful of trash. These marvelous trails have been here centuries before us, let’s make sure they outlive us by centuries too.

Madi Armstrong

Virginia Tech '23

Madi Armstrong is a senior studying multimedia journalism with minors in Spanish and creative writing. Through writing, she hopes to empower those around her to advocate for what they believe in and to use their experiences in ways to help others. Proud to be part of Her Campus, she hopes to leave a lasting impact and create an environment where everyone feels welcome.