Best Place to Find Dogs at Virginia Tech

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

I don’t know about you, but I’m super close to letting 2016 be the year I create an Instagram for my friends and I to upload pictures of dogs called “dog I saw today.” If you’re having a “that hard boiled egg I tried to eat at my desk is actually a raw egg” kind of day, the most instantly gratifing way to cheer yourself up is to cuddle a puppy. In all the horribleness of the world, I think we forget sometimes how pure and wonderful dogs are. You don’t truly cross the line over into adulthood until you have the realization that dogs are better than most people. Living in dorms and not pet friendly apartments makes finding these lovable creatures difficult! Lucky for you, lovely reader, I have done some sleuthing and found the best spots in Blacksburg to find dogs to fulfill your cuddling needs. 

The Drillfield is the place to be and be seen, especially if you’re a puppy. 

Sometimes when I’m feeling down, I’ll watch funny videos of puppies to cheer myself up. *Watches clip of golden retriever puppies frolicking in a field* First thought: AWWW!! Second thought: Dang, that’s like $20k worth of dog… However, I encourage you to turn off Netflix and venture outside and pet a real life puppy! Lots of people take their dogs on hikes, so explore a new trail and you might be lucky enough to meet some cool dogs along the way.

That being said, a trip to the New River warrants swimming with one of these cuties!

The Blacksburg Farmer’s Market is essentially a dog mecca. Open on Wednesdays and Saturdays, not only does the farmer’s market have delicious food and lively bluegrass music, but there’s also plenty of dogs for all of your friends to love!

Unfortunately, dogs aren’t allowed in dorms. Fear not because there are many pet friendly apartment complexes surrounding campus. Find a friend who lives off-campus and hang out in the common areas. Even puppies have to get fresh air from time to time so stay on the look out for furry friends wandering around your apartment.

Surprisingly enough, I’ve spotted many a puppy on a romantic stroll through the Horticulture Gardens.

And if you’re more of a cat person like me, there’s plenty of kitties on campus too! If you’re ever near the theatre buildings you might run into my kitten, Olivia.

I made this to-do list for every single person in the world today. 1. Drink enough water. 2. Pet some cool dogs. 3. Be nicer to each other.

For more pictures and updates from Her Campus’s puppy model, Romeo, follow him on Instagram (@romeothegoldenpup)!

Catie-Reagan Palmore is an aspiring Londoner and cat lady. She is currently in her third year at Virginia Tech with plans to graduate in Spring 2017. She is pursuing a Bachelor of Arts degree in Theatre with focuses in Costume Design and Performance. Her minor is in International Fashion. In May she will finish her certificate in Fashion Business at Parsons. One of her favorite things about being a Hokie is being a photographer for Humans of Virginia Tech.
Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!