multi colored chairs in row 257385?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
multi colored chairs in row 257385?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Felicity Warner / HCM

Best of The Golden Globes: TV Series

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

The Golden Globes are one of the most significant award shows for television and movie stars. The audience has a chance to see the best of television, movies, and high-quality fashion. As a chronic TV binger, I love getting to see some of the biggest names in Hollywood gather together to celebrate the art of entertainment. 

If you missed out on the Golden Globes here are my favorite winners of the Television/Limited Series awards:

My favorite award, the Best TV Series in the drama category went to what I thought was the series of the year: House of Dragons. An HBO-produced Game of Thrones prequel that was just as good as the original. The actors and actresses were phenomenal. Milly Alcock and Emma D’Arcy were on the stage to receive the award along with the director Miguel Sapochnik. They beat out some very popular shows like The Crown, Better Call Saul, and Severance.

Best TV Series in comedy went to a well-deserved, Abbott Elementary. A short series on what it is like for teachers in an underfunded school. This show was a light laugh with a very realistic portrayal of what it is like to be a teacher in certain areas. 

Abbot Elementary also won two other awards, Best Actress: Comedy or Musical and Best Supporting Actor: Comedy or Musical. Quinta Brunson plays a second-grade teacher named Janine Teagues. She is positive and uplifting, looking to turn the school around for her students. Her award-winning supporting actor was Tyler James Williams, who plays a substitute turned full-time teacher who has a work crush on Janine. A huge win for both actors. 

Best Actor in a comedy series was a fan favorite: Jeremy Allen White in The Bear. White got his start as Lip in the iconic series Shameless. This is his first major win since Shameless aired. White plays an exasperated chef, named Carmy. He takes on his family’s debt-ridden sandwich shops in hopes to turn them into something great after the loss of his older brother. White beat Steve Martin and Martin Short from Only Murderers in the Building as well as Donald Glover in Atlanta

Best Actor in a drama series went to Kevin Costner for his performance in Yellowstone. If you are looking for a political western drama, Yellowstone is the perfect option for you. Kevin Costner plays a single widower who has a ranch and a family to care for. This series has a ton of dark and twisty turns that will keep you engaged for hours. Kevin Costner, in my opinion, is the clear winner in this category. 

Euphoria Mental Health?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
HBO

Best Actress in a drama series came as no surprise. The Euphoria phenomena swept through social media like wildfire. There was something special about knowing every teenager was watching the new episode every Sunday night. Zendaya was named as the best actress for her performance, which was beautiful, tragic, and epic. Zendaya plays a drug addict riddled with self hatred and guilt. This award could go to no one else except her, yet she was not there to accept the award herself as she is working on her next project Dune: Part Two. That doesn’t stop her fans from anxiously awaiting season three of the hit series. 

Best Performance by an actor in a limited series winner was most definitely the most controversial award given out that night. The winner was Evan Peters for his performance as Jeffery Dahmer. While I think his acting was phenomenal, the series itself highlights Dahmer rather than the victims, and the victims’ families are not happy with it. The show was dark and gruesome, but still number one on Netflix for several weeks. I found this show hard to watch as it was based on the real-life crimes of one of the worst serial killers in America. Nevertheless, Peters took on the role and performed almost too well. 

Lastly, my favorite show of the year: White Lotus. White Lotus won Best Television Limited Series. White Lotus is an HBO show directed by former Survivor contestant Mike White. This show is a comedic, murder mystery surrounding characters of all different backgrounds staying at a beautiful, lush resort, an absolute must-watch. 

White Lotus and the iconic Jennifer Coolidge also won Best Performance by Supporting Actress in a Limited Series. Jennifer Coolidge plays a grieving daughter looking to spread her mother’s ashes in the ocean. She is a lonely woman looking for love and support, yet it does not dull her sense of humor whatsoever. 
If you are looking for the full list of nominations and winners, check out: https://ew.com/awards/golden-globes/golden-globes-2023-winners-list/

Caroline Reed

Virginia Tech '24

Caroline is a senior majoring in Multimedia Journalism and minoring in Creative Writing at Virginia Tech. Caroline has been apart of HerCampus for four years and loves being around such a fun group of girls! She loves writing short fiction, poetry, and news articles. She enjoys watching old movies and listening to Taylor Swift.