This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

It seems as if monochrome was the theme for this election’s inauguration. From our First Lady to Jennifer Lopez, the women of Biden’s presidential era were dressed head-to-toe in their own color.

Kamala Harris taking oath of office for vice president at the 2021 presidential inauguration
Photo by U.S. Air Force Senior Airman Kevin Tanenbaum distributed under a Public Domain Mark 1.0 license
Starting with our Madam Vice President, Mrs. Kamala Harris, in a shade of purple that suited her beautifully. Her dress was designed and created by Louisiana’s own Christopher John Rogers II. She also had on a pearl necklace, a nod to her sorority, with matching earrings.

President Joe Biden, Vice President Kamala Harris, and their spouses during the 59th inauguration in D.C.
Photo by U.S. Army Private 1st Class Laura Hardin distributed under a Public Domain Mark 1.0 license
Our First Lady, Dr. Jill Biden, began her First Lady fashion era on the right foot. She was stunning in an aqua dress and coat designed by the brand Markarian. She wore gloves that matched the cashmere on her coat along with a matching mask.

Lady Gaga sings “The Star-Spangled Banner” at the Presidential Inauguration ceremony
Photo by Navy Petty Officer 1st Class Carlos M. Vazquez II distributed under a CC BY 2.0 license
Lady Gaga wowed when she walked down the steps in a 13-feet-wide red skirt and a cashmere jacket. She wore red lipstick that matched her skirt and even had a pin of a dove carrying an olive branch on her jacket. Not only did she amaze people with her Schiaparelli designed outfit, but also with her rendition of the National Anthem.

Amanda Gorman reciting her poem at the 2021 presidential inauguration
Amanda Gorman had a way with her words and with her outfit of that day. While reciting “The Hill We Climb,” Amanda caught our attention with her yellow Prada coat and red Prada headband. She also wore a ring in the shape of a caged bird that was gifted to her by Oprah.

Jennifer Lopez singing at the 2021 presidential inauguration
Jennifer Lopez truly looked angelic in her all-white Chanel outfit. From her sleek ponytail to statement jewelry pieces, there was not one thing her outfit had wrong. It also seems pearl jewelry was a theme since Lopez’s earrings, bracelets, and belt were all pearl pieces.

Michelle Obama and Barack Obama at the 2021 Inauguration
Photo by Elizabeth Fraser / Arlington National Cemetery distributed under a Public Domain Mark 1.0 license

Saving the best for last, I truly had no words for how stunning our former first lady, Michelle Obama, looked in her burgundy attire. Her Sergio Hudson 3-piece ensemble was paired with a pair of Stuart Weitzman black suede boots, and it absolutely stole the show. She truly served the best look of the day.

Now, for two honorable mentions. First up, Grandpa Bernie Sanders absolutely rocked his Burton parka. It’s easily recognizable from his “I am once again asking” meme. His hand-knit mittens made the perfect match for the olive shade of his parka. Little did he know he would be starting a new meme of himself again.

Secondly, Kamala’s niece’s husband, Nikolas Ajagu, had Twitter talking when his Dior x Jordan 1’s were seen in the background of news coverage of the Inauguration. The stay-at-home dad was joined by Maisy Biden, Joe Biden’s granddaughter, in wearing Jordans as she wore a pair of the Air Jordan 1 coJP’s in the shade “Midnight Navy.”

Alejandra Jimenez

Virginia Tech '24

Alejandra is a freshman at Virginia Tech. She enjoys watching TV shows, reading, and spending time with her friends and family.
Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!