This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Ahh…crisp leaves in shades of yellow, red and orange float around, the air has a slight chill, and you’ve finally pulled out your favorite cardigans and scarves: it’s FALL. As a freshman, I’m experiencing my first autumn in Blacksburg. I’m sure we can all agree the season creates picturesque scenes. And how can I not mention the fact that the leaves change to Hokie maroon and orange? Be sure to remember how much windier it is on the Drillfield and to pack an extra chap stick when you leave your warm and toasty dorms or apartments! The fall and winter temperature drop is a great relief from the blistering hot temperatures of summer; however it brings no relief to our dry, rough, chapped skin.
No one likes dry skin, so here are the best ways and brands to keep your skin protected (and your money) in the upcoming months.

1. Burt’s Bees: Burt’s Bees offers lip balm, lip shimmer, lip-gloss, as well as tinted lip balm.  Burt’s Bees prides themselves on being 100% natural, using a combination of shea butter and botanical waxes.
  2.  ChapStick: Offers simply lip balms in flavors like Original, Vanilla Mint, and Green Apple. In case you’re not a fan of the traditional stick, you can always go for the squeeze tub. As for what’s inside, ChapStick claims each of their products is comprised of 11 moisturizing ingredients, SPF 15, as well as a hydrating formula that contains aloe and Vitamin E.
  3. Blistex: As we move down the list, the brands get less exciting. Although Blistex does the job with their “Medicated Lip Balm,” we may choose Burt’s Bees or ChapStick brand over it simply because the container is cuter. We can’t help it, it’s just who we are.
  4. Carmex: Much like Blistex, Carmex successfully moisturizes, but in a way less cute container. Carmex also comes in lip balm, squeeze tube, and lip balm jar (this can get messy).  Not many choices in flavor here, just original, strawberry, and cherry.

If you’re really desperate for relief from chapped lips, try this simple trick, which uses a toothbrush as an exfoliant:

1. Dab your lips with petroleum jelly
  2. Use a toothbrush to lightly massage the jelly
  3. Wipe off the petroleum jelly

How about those hands that seem to completely dry out the second it gets colder? These products are inexpensive and can be found almost anywhere.

1. Vaseline Cocoa Butter Extra Care Cream
  2. Burt’s Bees Soothingly Sensitive, Aloe & Buttermilk Body Lotion
  3. Jergens Shea Butter Cream
  4. Dove Pro Age Body Cream Oil
  5. Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion
  6. Lubriderm Intense Skin Repair Body Lotion
  7. Eucerin Calming Crème
  8. Johnson’s Melt Away Stress Body Lotion
  9. St. Ives Whipped Silk Intense Body Moisturizer
  10. Nivea Smooth Sensation
Megan is a sophomore at Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, Virginia. She is pursuing her B.A. in Communications with a concentration in Multimedia Journalism as well as a B.A. in Spanish Language. She is also pursuing a minor in Creative Writing. Megan updates her personal blog daily, and had a weekly blog as a Contributing Blogger for Her Campus Virginia Tech during her freshman year. As a dedicated member of Alpha Delta Pi sorority, Megan serves as the official blogger. Megan's interest in journalism began with her involvement with her high school's newspaper; where she served as an assistant section editor and a section editor her sophomore and junior years. She was the managing editor her senior year. In her free time, Megan enjoys running and competing in races, reading on her Kindle, and taking photos. 
Caitlin is a senior Professional Writing major. Besides Her Campus, she is the Internal Social Chairwoman for Gamma Phi Beta Sorority. She loves the beach, animals, shopping, yoga, and Hokie football!