The Best (and Easiest) Snacks to Make for That Last-Minute Invite

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Growing up, the love language in my family was always food. My mom always seemed to have some snacks or baked goods lying around, and we never showed up to another person’s house empty-handed. From a very young age, she started teaching me how to make everything, and at first, I used to complain about it. Now, when last-minute invites to friends’ houses seem to happen more often than not, I’m thankful that I have her instructions to fall back on. Here are some of my go-to favorites for when there’s no time to spare.

Brownies

Now, this one is kind of cheating because I make these all the time. Even when I’m not planning on leaving the house for the next few days. Brownies are a weakness of mine, and I just so happen to have the top-secret intel on the best boxed brownies out there: Ghiradelli Double Chocolate. Believe me, they’re fantastic.

Cookies

Another trick my mom taught me was to always keep cookie dough in the freezer. You never know when you’ll need it. The batter is easy to whip up, they freeze perfectly, and then at the last minute, they are perfect to pop in the oven. The added bonus? The fact that they’re homemade makes them feel comforting and easy to just pop in your mouth. When I’m in a pinch I always tend to go for a classic chocolate chip, but lately, these gluten-free peanut butter cookies have been at the top of my list too.

Snack Mix

This might be the easiest recipe on this list. All you do is take some oyster crackers and some mini saltines and then add some seasoning. The recipe we always used in my family is top secret (I haven’t even earned it yet), but a lot of people take a cup of oil, and an Italian dressing seasoning packet and shake it up. That’s it. The recipe is that easy.

Veggie platter

This one is also one of the easiest things to just grab and go. Literally, all you have to do is either grab a veggie platter, or grab some carrots, peppers, and broccoli, and then pop the dip of your choice in the middle. I always prefer to make my own ranch dressing for dipping, but any store-bought veggie dip will do.

Now, I know that getting a last-minute invite to a party can seem stressful, and it may feel impossible to come up with something to take with you, but these recipes are timeless, and some of the easiest to whip up in a pinch.

Catharine Knowles

Virginia Tech '21

Hi friends! My name is Cat, and I come from a one-stoplight town in rural Pennsylvania, but I love to read, write, edit, and much more. I have always dreamed of seeing my name on the spine of a book, and you'll almost never find me without my nose in a novel or not obsessing over a new tv show or movie adaptation.
Camden Carpenter

Virginia Tech '21

Senior studying Smart and Sustainable Cities, with hopes to become a traveling urban developer. Attemping to embody "Carpe Diem" in her everyday life, both physically by getting a tattoo of the quote, and mentally by taking risks while trying to maximize each day's full potential.