The Awkward 5th Roommate; A.K.A your roommate’s boyfriend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

We’ve all heard the phrase, “the more the merrier” but that term isn’t accurate when referring to your roommate(s). Unwanted permanent guests pose a serious problem. They eat your food, make a mess and are annoying as sH@t. Once they are in the apartment, it seems impossible to get rid of them. But finally you agree after weeks of being a nuisance something has to be done, the awkward 5th roommate, A.K.A. your roommate’s boyfriend has got to go!

Of course, you were happy for your roommate when two weeks after you moved in together she met the guy of her “dreams.” But you didn’t plan on sharing your apartment with him too. It was refreshing in the beginning, having a guy around the apartment every once in while. You would all hang out with his friends on the weekends and it was a good time. He would casually drop by between classes and for lunch, but as the weeks went on these casual visits became permanent. It makes you wonder…wait, didn’t he have an apartment, friends and priorities of his own a month ago?

Probably so, but you decide to stick it out a little longer. He’s a nice guy and it’s not that big of an issuewhere you want to confront your roommate about it especially since she really likes him. Soon your bathroom that you share with her is becoming more like a his-and-her bathroom. You open your bathroom drawer and there’s his deodorant and toothbrush… since when were we sharing drawers?

The next morning you knock on the bathroom door. Surprise! He answers the door in your monogrammed towel wrapped around his waist, dripping wet as he’s brushing his teeth, “hey what’s up?” Now what are you going to do?  Why is he acting sononchalant? Doesn’t he notice that those are my initials and not Katie’s?Has the line just been crossed?  Fifteen minutes later he is all “beautified” and you rush into the bathroom to get ready for class only to be greeted by the toilet seat up, smeared toothpaste in the sink and his facial hair clippings sprinkled across the bathroom. After talking with your other roommates you determine the line was crossed two weeks ago when he began doing his laundry at your place and oddly enough being at the apartment when his girlfriend was in class. 

They are attached to the hip. You feel as if you’ve lost your roommate yet gained another. You refuse to be chased out of your own apartment and your roommates and you feel confined to your bedrooms. You and your roommates want to approach the situation so what should the final move be?

If the situation is being an elephant in the room and tension is brewing something needs to be said. So here’s how to deal with it-

1.) Be calm, cool, and collected and don’t accuse or point fingers at one another.       2.) Discuss the problem in a mature manner without the boyfriend present.
3.) Never suggest splitting the rent and utilities 5 ways. If the bills seem to be more than usual don’t automatically accuse the one extra “guest” it’s because of them. During colder months electric bills tend to be higher than during the milder months of the year.
4.) Suggest a girls night out to have fun like old times.

Picture Credit: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lu9hlnFBoK1qg6zjlo1_500.jpg&imgrefurl=http://placeyourhandinminee.tumblr.com and http://www.eduinreview.com/resources/how-to-resolve-common-roommate-conf…

Mallory Smith is a senior Sociology major at Scripps College, located in sunny Claremont, CA. Born in Denver, Colorado, Mallory spent her time growing up between England, China and The United States. As a result, she loves to travel and explore new places and cultures. In Claremont Mallory is editor of the Life and Style section of The Student Life Newspaper. She also writes for Beyond the Elms, Scripps College’s Career Planning and Resources blog, where she is writing about her soon-to-be journey into the real world. In her free time Mallory enjoys going to art galleries in downtown Los Angeles, hiking, going to the beach and scuba diving whenever she gets the chance.