This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

There is no better feeling than listening to a song that embodies the season you are currently experiencing. The fall season, in particular, is one that holds nostalgic feelings of comfort, love and warmth that only music can fully capture. As we approach the peak of autumn, you should consider adding some of my favorite songs dedicated to this season of change.

“Someone to watch over me” by ella fitzgerald

Simply by looking at the title, there is a slight ominous tone to Ella’s longful ballad. It can be interpreted with a twist as she might be hinting at a spooky presence if you want to add intrigue to your listening experience. Be warned, this song will simultaneously warm your heart and break it all in a couple of minutes.

“Twilight time” by The platters

This song is the epitome of the fall season, warm, yet somehow mysterious. The lyrics describe the seemingly impossible quest for love and the need to cherish fleeting moments. Perhaps one could use this as a lesson, including myself, to not look too far ahead, only thinking about possibilities rather than the beautiful moments already unfolding.

“stormy weather” by etta jones

Whenever there is dark, rainy weather, while you enjoy the comfort of your home with blankets and candles lit, this is the perfect song to play in the background. Etta James has a voice that will make any stormy day soothing, and any song on her “At Last” album is a perfect choice for your seasonal playlist.

“bewitched” by laufey

Taking a more contemporary direction, Laufey recently released her new album, “Bewitched,” which truly has no skippable tracks. My personal favorite on the album is the lead single, as it is a beautiful option full of heartwarming vocals and magical production components. If you enjoy a mixture of pop and jazz, Laufey is an artist that I recommend you check out, regardless of the season.

“Annie’s song” by john denver

The first word I would use to describe this song is nostalgic due to its emotional essence. Coming from the acoustic folk genre, John Denver is a musician and a talented storyteller who can set the scene and transport you through his lyricism. This particular story is dedicated to the woman he loves, whom he is reminded of any time he sees something beautiful in nature. The autumn season truly is the time to fall in love and feel the magic of our surroundings.

There are countless songs that evoke the spirit of fall, and I recommend branching out with various genres and artists. Enhance this season by making a playlist and customizing it to what you connect with. Whether you view autumn as romantic, soulful or even vibrant, you should immerse yourself in music that will fill those quiet moments and make them memorable, fall season or not.

Sydney Kumor

Virginia Tech '25

Virginia Tech junior majoring in Business Management with a minor in Political Science. Part of the Her Campus writing team with a strong passion for creative writing, cooking and coffee!