This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Now is the perfect time to adopt a dog! Classes are letting out, and many students are staying in town for the summer. If your parents are coming to help you move out, maybe have them stop by a shelter or two? What surprised me the most when I first started visiting dog shelters, is that many of the dogs are well behaved and often already housebroken and sometimes even knowledgeable of basic commands like “sit”. Dogs do not necessarily end up in a shelter because they were “bad”. Typically, dogs are put into shelters because their owners relocate and cannot bring their dogs with them, their owners passed away, their owners did not treat the dogs well or left them behind during an evacuation for flooding, or sometimes the owners were deployed and had to give their dogs to a shelter. This leaves some really good dogs in shelters just waiting for a new best friend to take them home. These dogs can be found at the Montgomery County Animal Care and Adoption Center, Roanoke Valley SPCA, and City of Salem Animal Shelter. Check out your potential new best friends!

Dune

Young male Pitbull Terrier. This adorable pup is very popular among volunteers. He loves kids and other dogs, is good with cats, trainable, and so much fun. He loves hiking and is in need of a foster home. Dune is available at the Montgomery County Animal Care and Adoption Center!

Nate

Young male Border Collie & Hound Mix. Nate is very smart and not aggressive! He is available at the Montgomery County Animal Care and Adoption Center.

Gamgee

Senior male Pit Bull Terrier. Gamgee is house trained and is 11 years old. He acts very youthful despite his age and good with kids, cats, and other dogs! How can you resist those adorable spots on his nose? Gamgee is available at the Montgomery County Animal Care and Adoption Center.

Noodle (Daisy)

Adult female Pit Bull Terrier. Noodle is house trained and loves relaxing on the couch. She is available for adoption at the Montgomery County Animal Care and Adoption Center.

Sarge

Adult male American Staffordshire Terrier. Sarge is a very bright dog who is only 4 years old. He knows basic obedience commands and loves learning! He is adoptable from the Montgomery County Animal Care and Adoption Center.

Onnie

Adult female Pit Bull Terrier. Onnie is smart, wiggly, and crazy cute. She looks like such a fun dog to have around, and can be found at the Montgomery County Animal Care and Adoption Center!

Rockie

Adult male Boxer. A house trained boy who is very smart, not to mention awesome at posing for pictures. He can be adopted at the Montgomery County Animal Care and Adoption Center.

Forest

Adult male Tree Walker Coonhound. Forest is a goofy four year old hound and can be found at the Montgomery County Animal Care and Adoption Center.

Slinkster

Adult female Shar-Pei & Lab Mix. This 3 and ½ year old girl loves treats and has come out of her shell since being found as a stray this winter. Imagine her joy sleeping on a real bed in a home! She can be found at the Montgomery County Animal Care and Adoption Center.

Aggie

Young female Shepherd & Hound Mix. This sweetheart looks so loving and sincere! She can be found at the Montgomery County Animal Care and Adoption Center.

Alize

6 year old female. Alize is a very sweet girl who loves toys and is very willing to share them. She has lots of energy and loves to “talk”. Alize can be found at the Roanoke Valley SPCA.

Madison

11 month old female. Madison is a very active puppy who loves having toys thrown for her and is eager to meet people on her walks. You can find out more about Madison at the Roanoke Valley SPCA.

Rhylee

Senior female German Shepherd Mix. Rhylee is spayed and house trained! Come find her at the Montgomery County Animal Care and Adoption Center.

Kira

Senior female Husky. Kira is spayed and house trained. Get this- Kira and Rhylee are best friends who share a living space at the shelter and would love to be adopted together! You can find her at the Montgomery County Animal Care and Adoption Center.

Azilia

1 year old female Pitbull Terrier. Look at that smile! Azilia is spayed and good with kids. She is active and would make the perfect running partner. She loves lounging on couches, and belongs on yours! Come find her at the Montgomery County Animal Care and Adoption Center.

Dorey (Crook)

Adult female Bluetick Coonhound. This sweetheart is good with kids and other dogs and is very friendly. She is currently available for meet and greets through the Happy Hounds Prison Dog Program in Hagerstown, MD. She can be adopted at the Montgomery County Animal Care and Adoption Center.

Luna

Adult fem ale Pitbull Terrier. Luna is spayed, house trained, and good with kids! She is 3 years old and already knows the commands “sit”, “down”, “paw”, “kennel”, “wait” and is working on “leave it” and “roll over”! She is a huge people-pleaser and is crate and house trained. She loves giving kisses and does not bark! You can adopt her at the Montgomery County Animal Care and Adoption Center.

Bella

Adult female Pitbull Terrier. This gorgeous girl is house trained and extremely photogenic! You can adopt her at the Montgomery County Animal Care and Adoption Center.

Gilbert

Young Male Hound. This good boy is 1-3 years old and can be adopted at the City of Salem Animal Shelter! He is very outgoing and goofy and loves children, rope toys, playing outside, and running through water being sprayed from a water hose. He sounds like the perfect dog for a family!

Clarke

Young German Short-haired Pointer Mix. This good boy is 1-2 years old and can be adopted at the City of Salem Animal Shelter! Clarke is very outgoing and has lots of energy. He loves squeaky toys, ice cubes, playing fetch, and kiddy pools.

Found a pup you want to learn more about? Call any of the shelters to learn more about the dogs, and possibly stop in for a visit! Many of the shelters have Facebook pages providing more pictures and information about the dogs. You will not believe how happy a dog can make you, and how happy your adoption could make them!

Mayson was so excited to go home with his new family, he could not sit still for a picture!

A mechanical engineering sorority girl who will sprint across the drill field just to pet a dog.