A Very Merry Bucket List: Blacksburg Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

The week after Thanksgiving means one thing and one thing only — Christmas time. ‘Tis the season to give, celebrate and be joyful for no reason other than the pure fact of the matter that it’s the best time of year. Christmas is my favorite holiday. Can you tell?

While I love living in Blacksburg during the school year, I find myself getting rather homesick after Thanksgiving. It’s important to focus on finals, but in my expert opinion, it’s even more important to take a break from studying and embrace the holiday season. Luckily enough, there are plenty of ways you and your friends can rejoice in holiday cheer this winter right here in the Blacksburg area. With that being said, here’s your ultimate bucket list to complete this season packed with activities near Virginia Tech’s campus.

Shop local at the fifth Annual Mistletoe Market in Roanoke

While Roanoke is a little bit of a drive from the ‘burg, it’s definitely worth it. Nothing beats locally made food, goodies, crafts and more at the Mistletoe Market. Held on Saturday, Nov. 27, visitors can visit Santa, shop and eat locally, and best of all, admission is free.

Visit the Blacksburg Holiday Market

From 9–2 p.m. every Saturday, Blacksburg holds its holiday market. Stop by and enjoy live music, locally grown foods and goodies, and shop from local craftsmen.

Go to the Winter Lights Festival in Downtown Blacksburg

On Friday, Dec. 3, experience the holiday magic in Blacksburg at the annual lights festival. Special features include a holiday gift market, a tree lighting ceremony, carolers and a holiday parade down Main Street.

Watch “Elf” and recreate Buddy’s spaghetti meal

This is something I’ve been dying to make ever since I was a child, and I still have yet to try it. In case you haven’t seen the hit movie, Buddy the Elf is notorious for the Pop-Tart, chocolate sauce-topped spaghetti dinner he makes for himself when his father leaves him home alone for the day. It may sound gross at first, but hey, it’s all about the holiday experience. Gather your favorite sweets and spaghetti pasta for a rather unusual, yet festive dinner.

Gingerbread cookie decorating and wine night

This is my kind of evening: cozying by the fire with friends, watching Christmas movies, decorating cookies, and sipping on holiday cocktails. Say no more, I’m in.

Give back

This is the season of giving. As I’ve grown older, it’s true giving has become ten times more joyful than receiving. Brighten someone else’s day by donating non-perishable food items or blankets to a donation drive in town, or you can volunteer at the Blacksburg Interfaith Food Pantry.

Decorate a mini christmas tree for your dorm/apartment

Most of us probably live in dorms or apartments and may not have a ton of space for decoration, but I have a solution for you to ensure you still embrace the holiday cheer. Buy a mini Christmas tree at any store and decorate it with friends. Small Christmas trees go for around $20 at Target.

Taylor Walsh

Virginia Tech '23

Hi everyone! I'm Taylor Walsh and I'm a Professional and Technical Writing major here at Tech. I'm from Bristow, Virginia--about 40 minutes south of D.C. In addition to writing, I love painting, traveling, and hanging out with friends and family!