A Letter to the First Person I Met in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Dear Paige, 

Hi bestie! When I started thinking about college and how my life was about to change, I didn’t think I was going to make any friends that I would end up considering as a best friend, but that all changed when I met you. Recently, I have been reflecting on how much my life has changed in the past few months, and our friendship is one of the things that I am most grateful for. 

It’s so nice to have someone in Blacksburg that gets my sense of humor and laughs at all of my terrible jokes. I am so grateful to have someone here that enjoys the same type of music as me and enjoys doing some of the same things I like to do. Some of my best memories so far this year have been with you — whether it is the many nights of playing Mario Kart, the one night we stayed in with everyone and watched that awful cheerleading thriller on Lifetime, or the adventures to Cookout and Target. I think one of my favorite memories has been you giving me the nickname “grandma” because I hurt my hip and ended up on crutches after the VT vs. UNC football game. Now, almost all the people you have introduced me to only know me as “grandma.” I don’t just love the memories we have of staying in, the ones of us going out is pretty good too, but I think those are stories for another time.

I think one of the best things about our friendship is that you help me get out of my comfort zone when I need to, and I can keep us grounded when we need a nice night in. I am so grateful that I met someone like you at the beginning of my college career because you are the type of friend that you keep around for a long time. You are one of the good ones, and I’m so lucky to have you in my life. I am so grateful that I’ve found a friend to experience college with. Thank you for always being there for me and for all the laughs. I don’t know what I would do without you. I am so excited to see what else Tech has in store for us. You are a true friend, and I will be forever grateful that I met you.

With much love,

Katie 

Katie Tuggle

Virginia Tech '25

Hi, my name is Katie and I'm a senior majoring in psychology. I love being around my friends and family, chasing sunsets, listening to music, and driving around. I am so happy to be a part of the Her Campus writing team because I feel like I have found a place where my voice gets heard. Her Campus allows me to tell my stories without being interrupted and it gives me a place to be my true self.