lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

We’ve all been there. You meet a guy you really like and you can see it going somewhere. But he doesn’t seem to act as interested in you as you are in him. Even though you want to hang on and see where it goes, unfortunately it might not be worth it. If he does any of the following, it may be time to move on.

1. He seems like he’s playing games

Not the good games like Twister or Cards Against Humanity. No, the emotional, heart-wrenching games. You never know where you stand with him. Are you friends or more than friends? If you have to keep guessing, just let him go.

2. He talks about other girls in front of you

Like when you’re watching a TV show and a pretty girl comes on screen, he turns to you and says, “man she’s hot!” That’s okay when he’s with his friends but not with you. You’re not his guy friend and he shouldn’t act like you are.

3. He won’t claim you

Speaking of his friends, if he introduces you as his “friend” or nothing at all, then he’s not the one. When a guy likes you, he will have no problem claiming you in front of his friends.

4. He has a death grip on his phone

He won’t ever leave his phone around you. Maybe he thinks you’re gong to try to go through it or maybe he’s worried he’ll get a text from another girl and you’ll see. Either way, he may be hiding something and that’s not boyfriend material.

5. Yet he takes forever to text you back

You text him back within 5 minutes but it takes him at least an hour. His excuse? “I’m sorry I was really busy.” But you are too, it’s not like you wait around for his texts all day. You have a life. If you can show the effort to text back quickly, he can too.

6. Your best friends don’t like him

Big red flag. Your best friends know everything about you, that’s why they’re your best friends. If they don’t like him or get a bad vibe from him, you may want to consider kicking him to the curb.

7. You feel like you have to keep him interested

If you ever feel like you have to go out of your way to keep him from getting bored, he is definitely not boyfriend material. You shouldn’t have to feel like you’re annoying or boring anyone by just being yourself.

8. He doesn’t really listen when you talk

Potential boyfriends hang on to your every word because they’re interested in what you have to say. If he only half listens and inserts the occasional “uh huh”, then he’s not really interested. Don’t waste your breath on him.

9. He doesn’t put you first…or even second

You may not be the most important person in his life, but you should be on the list somewhere. If he constantly puts people before you or treats you like an afterthought, he’s not worth it. You’re a queen and should be treated as such.

It can be really hard when you realize that the guy you like isn’t worth it. But the quicker you do, the quicker you can move on and find the guy. He’s out there somewhere!

Sara is a Junior at VT studying Multimedia Journalism and Africana Studies. Way to her heart: Taco Bell, makeup, shopping. In that order.
Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!