This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Having a cat can be a satisfying and wonderful experience for many pet owners. If you are currently on the fence about adopting, fostering, or owning a feline friend of your own, then here are seven reasons why you should have a cat as a pet.

Companionship

While cats are stereotypically depicted as bold and self-sufficiently independent, they can be  extremely devoted and loving towards their owners. Their companionship is fiercely loyal when they make a bond with their owners. During hard times, cats can provide feelings of emotional and psychological support. 

stress reduction

When a cat snuggles up beside you and purrs, it has an immensely soothing effect on the body. According to research, cats’ purrs are scientifically proven to help reduce anxiety and stress, and even heal the body. Just the motion of petting a cat can release endorphins, so now you can skip the gym. 

low maintenance

Compared to other common household animals like dogs, cats are extremely low maintenance. Cat toys are entertaining and immersive, keeping the cat occupied without any human interaction. Furthermore, cats are instinctively drawn to their litter boxes, making potty training a no brainer.

pest control

Cats are little hunters who love to roam the house for unwanted pests and rodents. Just their presence might deter critters and insects from entering the home. I have caught my cats killing frogs, lizards, and mice in my basement, which comes in handy if you’re deathly afraid of creepy crawlies like me. 

health benefits

Along with mental health benefits, owning a cat can have direct physical health benefits. Cats have been known to reduce blood pressure and even reduce the chance of heart disease. The next time you hear a cat purr, think about its amazing, healing powers.

entertainment

Cats can have extremely entertaining and unique personalities. Their quirky, sometimes unsteady body movements are delightfully hilarious. There is a reason why funny cat videos are some of the most popular videos on the internet. 

low allergenic

Compared to dogs, cats have a lower chance of causing allergies in the household. However, cats aren’t ever entirely hypoallergenic. Just like dogs, there are cat breeds available for those who are super sensitive that produce lower levels of allergenic proteins.

With these benefits comes responsibility; therefore, make sure you are capable of providing a stable, loving, and healthy environment for your future furry friend. 

Alden Koupal

Virginia Tech '26

Hi, my name is Alden Koupal. I'm from Richmond, Virginia. I'm a freshman at Virginia Tech majoring in international studies. I enjoy going for long walks, listening to music, and eating sweets. I'm an introvert at heart and I adore reading and writing. Her Campus feels like a dream come true. The freedom to contribute to such an inclusive community feels infinitely rewarding.