This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

We all have to go through the awkward phase of being a freshman, whether it is in high school or college. Though some things might change there is one thing that stays the same: it sucks! So here are some few tips on how not to stand out as a freshman at Virginia Tech:

1. Don’t wear a lanyard around your neck with your Hokie Passport in tow. This screams, “I’m a freshman!” I’m not saying to ditch the school spirited lanyard but find a more appropriate place to put in like in your pants pocket or your purse.
2. Ditch the high school clothing. No one cares what club you were in or what sport you played in high school. This is college, none of that matters anymore. You are now apart of a different family…HOKIE NATION!
3. Don’t dress in all VT gear. There is no need to wear a Tech shirt, Tech shorts, and Tech flip-flops. We all know that you attend VT. Try and limit it to only one Tech article of clothing. This way we know you still have school spirit.
4. Try not to travel in large groups. No one is going to let you into a party if you show up with your whole entire dorm. Plus traveling in groups just makes it easier for upperclassmen to scream “FRESHMEN” out of their car window while you are walking.
5. Leave your maps at home. Plan ahead to your destination. You don’t want to be awkwardly standing on campus holding a map while trying to find the place you are supposed to be. Even if you don’t know where you are going, pretend like you do!
6. Don’t try too hard. College is supposed to be the best time of your life. Enjoy it while you can. Be confident, have fun, and most importantly, be you!

Caitlin is a senior Professional Writing major. Besides Her Campus, she is the Internal Social Chairwoman for Gamma Phi Beta Sorority. She loves the beach, animals, shopping, yoga, and Hokie football!