This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

1. The Consideration

Post-break up? Lonely and in need of fuzzy company? Trying to prove your responsibility to your parents? Whatever the reason, you’re beginning to wonder if maybe a friendly feline would make good company for cuddles in your vanilla candle-scented household.

2. The Viewing

You decide to waltz over to your nearest humane society (adopt, don’t shop) just for a quick lookie-poo. Nothing serious, of course, you’d just like to see the options of possible new best friends. But not a single ounce of preparation could brace you for the overwhelming amounts of utter adorableness that greets you at the front door. Itty bitty kittens and fluffy cats roam the halls, their eyes boring into the back your head as you try to ignore the guilty sensation of not being able to love each and every one of them at once.

3. Love at First Sight

Walking into the back room, you glance around to see if any particular fluff ball catches your eye. Within seconds, an older looking blonde cat meows in your direction. Heading towards it’s enclosure, you shout out to the attendant nearby, asking the name of the ridiculously cute creature.

“His name’s Oatmeal, one of our longer term residents! Loves tummy rubs too,” they reply. 

Oatmeal… suddenly, you imagine a world full of Oatmeal nametags and belly-rubbing, wondering where he’s been all your life. Before you can stop yourself, you reply. 4. “I’ll Take Him.”

The words leave your lips before you can control yourself, but what’s done is done and the decision has been made by fate. Picking his squirming body up with ease, you cradle his purring face in your hands and say to yourself, “This is the dumbest crap I’ve ever done, my mom’s going to kill me.” With that thought, you vow to love Oatmeal to the day you die and stumble out the door with a large cardboard box containing your newest obsession.

5. Responsible Parent

You stop by Petco with a recently filled bank account (a quick transfer of money from your savings in order to provide for your fur child) and begin to collect all the essentials. A litter box and litter, cat food and food bowls (dry food all the way), several toys of a variety of sizes, flea and tick repellant, hair brush for fuzzy felines and an engraved collar for your precious boy. You swear that’s all you will buy for him this week, but within three days you’ll be revisiting for more litter and toys. Your savings account has found its newest nemesis.

6. One Hundred Percent Worth It

Wallet feeling somewhat lighter but heart feeling twice as full, you lay with your newest companion, enjoying the warmth of his fuzzy body curled up next to yours. Never have you been so thankful for impulsive purchases, because the love of a tiny animal is unlike anything else. Even if it makes your room smell and now there’s cat litter strewn across your kitchen floor, it’s all worth it in the end.

Reach out to your local Blacksburg/Christiansburg shelters to help support a wonderful cause in helping rehome every cat and dog that reaches the premise. Maybe you’ll even meet your furrever friend!

https://www.montgomerycountyva.gov/acac

http://www.hsmcshelter.com/

Image Sources: GIFs from giphy.com, Image from author

Christina Kass

Virginia Tech '20

A multimedia journalism major with a flair for cinematography. Blacksburg native with supreme Hokie spirit. #VT2020
Kaitlyn Horinko

Virginia Tech '19

Kaitlyn can usually be found 15 minutes early to wherever she's going, with Starbucks in hand. She is passionate about social media and finding new ways to advocate for mental health, and enjoys making playlists, road trips, and writing in her free time.