jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Worst and Best Memories of My First Semester in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Ever since elementary school I dreamt of becoming an official college student. As these dreams became reality, my journey has been rather eventful. I can honestly say that I have never experienced such a wild mixture of terrible and amazing events. The past four months brought me endless sickness, stress, excitement and new beginnings.  From worst to best, here’s a quick recap of my most memorable times at VT.

Worst:

1. Broken Laptop One Month Into Classes

This event began the downfall of my college expectations. About one month into classes, my laptop tumbled off of my roommate’s lifted dorm bed only to meet its doom on the cold concrete floor. With an optimistic mind, I turned it into the bookstore repair services. After two months of library loaners and two months of a roommate hand-me-down, the bookstore has yet to return my laptop to me. Word of advice: don’t break your laptop.

2. Broken Phone During Finals Week

Furthering my bad luck with technology, my poor cell phone was brutally murdered in the backseat of a designated driver’s car. Moving from the trunk to the passenger seat, it slipped from my pocket as I slid out of the back. Moments later, some girl handed me a pile of shattered glass and bent metal. The events of this mauling remain a mystery, yet one thing remains: I now have no phone and no laptop.

3. Catching Strep From JMU

Towards the middle of the semester I contracted my first ever diagnosed disease. I have always taken pride in my ability to avoid illnesses, yet it seems that college basically demolished my immune system. While visiting a friend at another school one weekend, I developed a raging fever and swollen throat. This fever spread across my whole body at a rapid speed. Next thing I knew I was bedridden, restricted from eating solids, and on three different antibiotics. Needless to say, I blame JMU.

4. Flat Bike Tire at Kroger

As an out of state freshman, my car did not join me on campus. Because of this, I walk or bike everywhere. One night I rode my bike to the Kroger about two miles off campus. On the way home, my bike got a flat and my tire pump was malfunctioning. Two miles from campus, I carried my bike home in a dark uphill battle through freezing ice rain. I have not ridden my bike since.

5. Running Out of Dining Dollars

The stereotypical college trauma of basically starving to death is real. I recently experienced this first hand. Too scared to ask my mom for more dining money, I lasted two full weeks on only twenty flex dollars. My meals consisted of 50% cereal and 50% rice cakes. I lost six pounds and all of my already diminished energy.

Best:

1. First College Football Game

Ever since I toured campus for the first time, I could not wait to be a part of Virginia Tech game day. My first game as a student was my first college football game ever. Believe me, it did not disappoint. Lane Stadium bled with maroon and orange as thousands of students jumped and praised their team. At that moment, I felt so much pride in my decision to become a Hokie.

2. Sunday Brunches at D2

Virginia Tech is pretty well-known for its amazing on-campus dining. Ranked #1 in the nation for campus food, this title is definitely no lie. Each Sunday my roommate and I try to go to D2 for brunch. I look forward to this meal all week long. I can honestly go a week without any food just for one plate of D2 breakfast. It’s just that good.

3. Halloween

Each year, college campuses celebrate Halloween over a span of a week. This year, Halloween was on a Monday. From the previous Wednesday all the way through the holiday, campus buzzed with costumes, candy, and endless festivities. I take my holiday spirit very seriously, and apparently so does Virginia Tech. Naturally, Halloween was one of my favorite weeks all semester.

4. Experiencing New Freedom

Leaving my friends and family to start a new life in Blacksburg was my first decision as an adult. Ever since then, my life has drastically changed. In just four months, I went from being a hopeful high school graduate to being a headstrong college student. Having to adapt to life on my own has made me much stronger and way more mature.

5. New Friends

The relationships I built here at school are some that I will carry with me for the rest of my life. I am forever grateful for the love and support I received right off the bat. After only one semester I built so many amazing friendships. By the end of this year, I hope to make even more.

College definitely taught me the benefits of overcoming stress, lack of sleep and overwhelming insecurities. However, without the bad times, it’s harder to appreciate the good in life. With that being said, here’s to seven more trips on the rollercoaster of college life. Go Hokies!

Image sources: Pexels.com and Canva.

Kaley Roshitsh

Virginia Tech '18

After graduating with a B.S. in Fashion Merchandising and Design from Virginia Tech in 2018, Kaley moved to NYC to start her career with WWD – the authority on the fashion, beauty and retail industries. She is credited with the relaunch of Her Campus at Virginia Tech in 2016, serving as Campus Correspondent for 2 years, building the team to 55+ members while earning multiple Pink chapter level statuses (top-20% of over 330 chapters) and being awarded "Outstanding Organization of the Year" in 2018 at Virginia Tech. Other notable achievements include the annual "Media Mixer" gala and buildout of many strategic content initiatives.