5 Ways to Snag the Perfect Date Party Outfit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

While we enter the meat of first semester, Greek life begins to kick into full gear. Whether a member of the Greek community or not, it can be hard to ignore the buzz of rush events, philanthropy booths and downtown date parties. My favorite part about these social occasions is the ability for Greek and non-Greek life to intermix. Anyone can attend rush events if the Greek community interests them, anyone can contribute funds or services to philanthropies and anyone can be invited to date parties. As a social butterfly and lover of playing dress-up, my adoration for date parties grows with every semester. However, as an avid money-saver, finding outfits for these events can be tricky. Here are some hacks for finding the perfect date party outfits, whether in a time crunch or planned ahead.

Borrow! Borrow Borrow!

Nothing is more beautiful than spending absolutely no money on the perfect outfit. The first and most important approach for date party style is raiding someone else’s closet. Borrow a rockin dress, romper or pantsuit from your roommate or close friend! I don’t know about you, but my confidence level shoots through the roof when my wallet remains untouched.

The Curtsy App

As of last year, Virginia Tech was introduced to one of the most beneficial apps for collegiate women. The Curtsy app allows girls on campus to rent dresses to their peers in an affordable and organized way. Browse the app, find your favorites, try them on and rent them for the week! Even better, post your own dresses and earn back the money you spent!

Online with Amazon Prime

There are countless pros and cons when it comes to online shopping. However, with Amazon Prime’s student discount, you can order things for sale prices, free shipping and priority delivery! Search for sales on sites such as Tobi, Lulu, Missguided, Forever21 and get them in as few as three days!

Local Boutiques

Growing up in Alabama, my exposure to hometown boutiques is a bit higher than those who grew up further north. Although I am not much of a shopper, I can thank boutiques for a lot of the dresses in my wardrobe. Head downtown and check out those cute little boutiques you always walk past but never go into. You won’t be disappointed!

Recycling Old Dresses

Rummage through your closet and pull out some old dresses! I know, I know, no one ever wants to repeat a dress they’ve already worn to an event. But think of it this way, who’s going to remember your senior homecoming dress at a date function three years later? No one! Use it as an excuse to look even better. Take an old dress, wear a new set of jewelry, some killer heels and a bold lip. An entirely new look can seem like an entirely new dress!

No matter if you pay for your school or your parents do, college can be a major money crunch for every student. Having to worry about buying fresh new outfits for functions is entirely too stressful. I have never been one to spend money on clothes, so I am constantly looking for loopholes. With that being said, each of these options have been tested and approved by the cheapest of the cheap. After all, there’s no better way to kill the game than to kill it for half the price.

Images are the author’s own. Rep image / 2 / 4

Kaley Roshitsh

Virginia Tech '18

After graduating with a B.S. in Fashion Merchandising and Design from Virginia Tech in 2018, Kaley moved to NYC to start her career with WWD – the authority on the fashion, beauty and retail industries. She is credited with the relaunch of Her Campus at Virginia Tech in 2016, serving as Campus Correspondent for 2 years, building the team to 55+ members while earning multiple Pink chapter level statuses (top-20% of over 330 chapters) and being awarded "Outstanding Organization of the Year" in 2018 at Virginia Tech. Other notable achievements include the annual "Media Mixer" gala and buildout of many strategic content initiatives.