Wellness > Sex + Relationships

5 Tips to Navigate an LDR if Coronavirus is Keeping You Apart

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

As we continue to brave this new world of social distancing, toilet paper shortages, and working from home, many other aspects of our lives seem to be pushed to the back of the line. While everyone is trying to maintain a sense of safety and normalcy, our friend, family, and relationship dynamics are changing. Specifically, many couples are now separated due to either mandatory or self-quarantine. While isolation can put a significant strain on your relationship, it is well known by now that self-quarantine is one of the best ways to stop the spread of the coronavirus, along with proper hand washing and social distancing if you must be outside.

However, although you and your partner are apart it does not mean your relationship has to suffer. Here are some of top tips to staying connected while staying safe.

Facetime

It goes without saying that video chatting is your best friend in an long distance relationship (LDR). While phone calls and texts are fine, seeing your partner’s face really adds another level of comfort and brings them closer to you.

Virtual Dates

Even though you can’t go out on the town, there are still plenty of fun things you can do together. Whether both making dinner over facetime, watching a movie through Netflix Party, or playing an online game like Quiplash, there are still plenty of ways to spend quality time together.

Keep Traditions Alive

Try not to let the distance disrupt your routine. If you often slept in the same bed, facetime your partner while you fall asleep together. Keep your standing Friday night dinner at your favorite restaurant by ordering food in. Maintaining as much of your routine as you can will add a sense of normalcy to it all.

Get Frisky

Just because you’re not together does not mean you can’t spice things up. Sexting, phone sex, and even remote-controlled vibrators are just a few of the options out there. Maybe take this time to reassess your sex life as a whole and explore new options.

Remember Why You’re Doing This

Although it is stressful to have to be apart for so long, it is very tempting to go pay them a visit. Please remember that the precautions are not just to keep you and your partner safe, but it is for your friends, families, and anyone you come in contact with as well.

SP Home Rep
Artem Beliaikin on Unsplash

Many of you are not used to doing long distance. Some may even have sworn they would never try it, but here we all are. We all have to do our part to slow the spread and stay safe. In the meantime, focus on maintaining your quality of life, your relationships, and your health.

Loralee Hoffer

Virginia Tech '23

Loralee Hoffer is a senior at Virginia Tech majoring in Psychology with minors in Creative Writing and Adaptive Brain and Behavior. Through her writing, she enjoys sharing her experiences with health and wellness, relationships, body positivity, and campus life. Proud to be a part of the Her Campus team, she hopes to empower women and gain valuable experience, education, and friends along the way.