5 Things You’ll Miss About Your Freshman Dorm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Once freshman year ends, you’re probably already thinking about your apartment for next year (unless you’re living on campus again). I was so excited about my apartment that I was already planning how I was going to decorate it before the school year even ended. However, once I moved into my apartment and classes started, I realized how many things I would actually miss about the dorms (something I never thought I would say).

1. There’s always someone to hang out with

When you’re living in the dorms you always have a friend to hang out with! Even if your roommate is at class or out of town, there are so many people still around to hang out with all the time. Living in an apartment is so nice, and having personal space again is a luxury, but when all of my roommates are in class and I’m at home; it gets kind of lonely!

1. It is SO convenient

I took for granted how easy it was to get to class while I lived on campus. Everything is a maximum 15 minute walk, and in between classes you can stop back at your dorm if you need to, or if you want to take a nap. I have to walk at least 15 minutes to get to my classes, and have to take a bus otherwise. Another option when you live on campus is driving, but past 10 a.m. it’s pretty much impossible to get a spot, and it even makes people late for their classes when they have to try to find a spot. It’s also such an easy walk to Center St. for football games and tailgates, so take advantage of that!

1. Food is just a 5 minute walk away (or less!)

This is one of the things I miss the most about living on campus. You have some of the best dining halls in the country within a 10 minute walk of the dorms, now I have to drive or take a bus to go to West End when all I want is a rice bowl! I usually keep my apartment stocked with food and snacks, but when that runs out it’s just not as convenient to go get food as it was last year.

1. You have at least 5 closets

Living in the dorms, you’re probably living on a floor with at least 30 other girls. You won’t be best friends with all of them, but the friends you do make will help multiply your closet. I don’t know how many times I would walk over to my friends rooms to borrow clothes for game days or dinners at Cabo Fish Taco. I’m lucky to live with a couple of those girls again this year, and we’re still borrowing each others clothes.

1. Your RA and building staff

A lot of you may build close bonds with your RA over the course of your freshman year! It’s nice having someone to show you the ropes and help you out with anything you might need. While you may never really become close to your building staff, you have to appreciate all they do for you. They clean the bathrooms and halls, take out the public trash, and take care of any maintenance issues you may have! I don’t have someone to do any of that for me this year, and I really appreciated all they did for us last year. Make sure you thank them and let them know that their work doesn’t go unnoticed!

Definitely make the most of this year in the dorms. I know it seems like it kinda sucks now (and it kinda does) but there are so many things to take advantage of and enjoy while you do live on campus. Make the most of your year and have fun!

Images:

Rep1 / 2 / 3

Kaley Roshitsh

Virginia Tech '18

After graduating with a B.S. in Fashion Merchandising and Design from Virginia Tech in 2018, Kaley moved to NYC to start her career with WWD – the authority on the fashion, beauty and retail industries. She is credited with the relaunch of Her Campus at Virginia Tech in 2016, serving as Campus Correspondent for 2 years, building the team to 55+ members while earning multiple Pink chapter level statuses (top-20% of over 330 chapters) and being awarded "Outstanding Organization of the Year" in 2018 at Virginia Tech. Other notable achievements include the annual "Media Mixer" gala and buildout of many strategic content initiatives.