Career

5 Things I Learned from My Summer Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Internships can be a multitude of things: scary, exciting, stressful, eye-opening… The list is infinite. However, they should always be informative, whether it helps you examine potential careers or provides valuable skills that you can use in the future. Here are 5 things that I learned while interning this summer!

1. A Solid Breakfast

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day! Your body will thank you later if you’ve got a full stomach. Avoid worrying about your lunch break and focus on securing your bag as an intern. 

2. Ask Questions

It’s okay if you don’t know all of the answers. An internship will always have parts that you have to learn on the fly, and it’s impossible to remember everything on your first go around. Your mentor or supervisor is your lifeline, and they’re there for a reason! Don’t try to tackle everything on your own. 

3. Save Everything

I made the mistake of only saving my work in one place and it mysteriously vanished from my desktop. Remember to ask your superior if they have a shared network or database that backs all of your documents up to one large hard drive. Save yourself the frustration and bring a flash drive or make copies of your documents! 

4. Business Cards

They’re a simple, yet efficient, way to expand your network of professional contacts. You’ll have some great resources if you’re interested in a specific career or need to know where your work is in demand. It’s impossible to tell where you’ll be within the next few years, but it couldn’t hurt to have an email address up your sleeve in case of an emergency.

5. Decorate

Not only will a few desk decorations spruce up your office, but it’s also an easy way for your coworkers to get to know you better. Frame a picture of your family pet or place your favorite vacation spot. It’s a great conversation starter and then you’ll have a new work friend in no time!

Image source: Giphy

Camden Carpenter

Virginia Tech '21

Senior studying Smart and Sustainable Cities, with hopes to become a traveling urban developer. Attemping to embody "Carpe Diem" in her everyday life, both physically by getting a tattoo of the quote, and mentally by taking risks while trying to maximize each day's full potential.