This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

It is that time of the year again: pale girl season. With colder weather comes cooler skin tones. For those of us who weren’t born with a natural sun-kissed complexion, fall and winter can put a damper on self-esteem. Of course, there is absolutely nothing wrong with embracing your pale complexion—all-natural skin tones are beautiful and unique. However, sometimes a little tan can go a long way. 

As an avid user of self-tanner, I have tried almost every tanning product on the market. From sprays to foams, lotions to oils, I have had my fair share of trials and errors. Spray tans and tanning beds can be both dicey and pricey, and as a college student, I am always looking for the best bang for my buck. Here is a list of my favorite affordable self-tanning products:

1. b.tan Tanned AF

This is my current go-to product. Sold at Walmart and found on Amazon, this foaming tanner is extremely affordable. The foam comes out a gray-black shade and rolls on with no streaks. The shade of the foam brings out a more natural, cool-toned brown color and eliminates any orange undertones. As someone who tans very easily, I use the darkest shade; however, I would recommend a lighter shade for those with very fair complexions. Before bed I will use a tanning mitt to spread the foam head to toe, then wash it off when I wake up in the morning. This product also comes in a spray and oil; however, I prefer the foam. 

2. Jergens Instant Sun Foam

Jergens is my “ole’ reliable” when it comes to tanning products. I started out using Jergens gradual tanning lotions for a consistent, natural glow. After switching to the foam, I became obsessed with the instant bronze color. The foam comes out dark brown and rolls on with no streaks. This product, like any other tanning foam, tends to stain your hands pretty aggressively. That being said, make sure you use a mitt and wash your hands after application. Jergens products are both affordable and reliable, so it is hard not to be a huge fan. Just like b. tan, I usually put it on before bed and wash it off in the morning. 

3. St. Tropez Classic Self Tan Foam

When people think about self-tanning products, St. Tropez is usually the first brand that comes to mind. While it is more on the pricey side, the tan is definitely worth the price. This foam comes out with a greenish-gray color and eliminates all orange undertones. I like St. Tropez because the smell is less dramatic than other tanning products. I put this product on just as I do for b. tan and Jergens. 

4. Australian Gold Instant Sunless Lotion

I once bought this product when Walmart was out of Jergens, but as soon as I used it I immediately fell in love. This is a lotion rather than a foam, so the color of the cream is not reflective of the color it produces. Like all Australian Gold products, the smell of this lotion is incredible. My biggest self-tanner pet peeve is when they make my skin smell like chicken tenders. This lotion makes my skin smell like the beach. I don’t use a mitt for this product, but I always scrub my hands after application. 

(SELF TANNER HACK: scrubbing your hands with dish soap is the best way to reduce hand staining!)

5. L’Oreal Sublime Bronze

This bronzer is another purchase I made after Walmart sold out of what I wanted. Much like Australian Gold, I was far from displeased. I used to use the sublime bronze lotion, which rolls on dark brown and sparkly. When L’Oreal released the bronzer in foam I was ecstatic. I am a HUGE sucker for tanning foam, but I’m sure I have made that clear by now. This foam has a dark brown hue and a nice perfume-like scent. Even though the smell is less pungent, I still prefer applying my tan before bed and washing it off in the morning. It is not impossible to apply foams before going out in public, but it depends on your skin type. I have sweaty, oily skin so I do not like to go out after applying tanning products.

All of these products are convenient, affordable, and reliable. Most of them can be found at CVS, Target, or Walmart. All of them can be found on Amazon. I would consider myself a self-tan guru and a relatively budget-friendly person. These things considered, all 5 products have my stamp of approval. Go out, buy some self-tanner, and enjoy the autumn breeze with a gorgeous glow.  

Image Sources:

1 / 2 / 3 / 4 

Camden Carpenter

Virginia Tech '21

Senior studying Smart and Sustainable Cities, with hopes to become a traveling urban developer. Attemping to embody "Carpe Diem" in her everyday life, both physically by getting a tattoo of the quote, and mentally by taking risks while trying to maximize each day's full potential.