This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Valentine’s Day has come and there are several ways to spend this holiday. Either you’re in a relationship and want to celebrate with your significant other, or you’re single and struggling with how to spend your day. Most of the time, couples decide to spend the night together, choosing to have a romantic dinner at a nice restaurant. Whereas someone who is single, may just spend the day alone or spend time with their friends. Whether you’re single and looking for something to do, or in a relationship and want to do something simple, and hang out together, here are 5 movies that you can watch on Valentine’s:

When In Rome

Definitely an underrated classic, but this Romantic Comedy stars Kristen Bell playing Beth, the main character, who works at an art museum and attends her sister’s wedding in Rome. While there, she meets Nick, played by Josh Duhamel, and they hit it off. While drunk, Beth grabs some coins from a nearby fountain, later finding out that those who threw the coins fell under a love spell for her because she grabbed them out. The movie revolves around Beth trying to stop the guys from following her while also figuring out whether Nick truly loves her or not.

Letters to Juliet​

This film follows an avid writer Sophie, played by Amanda Seyfried, who goes to Italy with her fiance before the wedding. While there, she discovers the Verona courtyard where women leave letters to Juliet for advice. She uncovers the “Secretaries of Juliet,” a group of women who respond to the letters. Trying one on her own, Sophie finds a beautiful story from 1957 about a long lost love. Sophie contacts the original author of the letter and Claire arrives along with her grandson Charlie. The movie is perfect for Valentine’s because it tells the story of two different relationships finding love.  

John Tucker Must Die

While it isn’t a super romantic movie, this one may appeal more to the single people on Valentine’s Day. The movie is about a high school jock, John Tucker, who is dating three girls at the same time. When the new girl, Kate, gets in the picture, the girls join together to bring him down by having Kate play him along so that she can dump him in the end.

No Reservations

Another underrated movie, No Reservations has the perfect balance of drama and romance. After her sister dies in a car accident, Kate, a passionate chef played by Catherine Zeta Jones, is left to take care of her young, grieving niece. In the meantime, the restaurant hires a replacement chef, Nick, to take her place while she is on leave. Though she despises him at first, over time the two grow closer, making it a perfect romance.

La La Land

Definitely a more recent movie, it still is a great love story to watch on Valentine’s Day. It follows an aspiring actress Mia, played by Emma Stone, and Sebastian, a musician played by Ryan Gosling, who try to balance their relationship amidst the culture of Los Angeles as well as their rising success. The movie even earned Emma Stone an Oscar, proving its brilliance.

Image Sources Rep /1/2/3/4/5

Kaley Roshitsh

Virginia Tech '18

After graduating with a B.S. in Fashion Merchandising and Design from Virginia Tech in 2018, Kaley moved to NYC to start her career with WWD – the authority on the fashion, beauty and retail industries. She is credited with the relaunch of Her Campus at Virginia Tech in 2016, serving as Campus Correspondent for 2 years, building the team to 55+ members while earning multiple Pink chapter level statuses (top-20% of over 330 chapters) and being awarded "Outstanding Organization of the Year" in 2018 at Virginia Tech. Other notable achievements include the annual "Media Mixer" gala and buildout of many strategic content initiatives.