The 5 Hidden Restaurant Gems of Blacksburg

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Tired of the same old fast food joints around town? Branch out from the same ole Cookout and Chipotle and try out these little known but sure to satisfy restaurants!

Breakfast at Gillie’s: All right, I know what you’re thinking: “Under no circumstances am I going without my bacon at breakfast.” Yes, Gillie’s only offers vegetarian cuisine–which most likely repels a lot of meat lovers. But I promise, once you take your first bite of their heavenly, fluffy pancakes you’ll be a renounced carnivore (at least for that morning). The breakfast menu is so extensive that you’ll probably end up ordering three things because everything is so delicious. No wonder it was voted the best breakfast in town by the Collegiate Times.

Boudreaux: Didn’t make it to New Orleans for Mardi Gras? Well luckily you can get a taste of Bourbon Street right in downtown Blacksburg. Offering everything from Cajun chicken to Po’Boys, turkey croissants to real alligator bites, this eclectic little restaurant has it all.  In the summer, they open up their roof top patio where you can indulge in the southern cuisine while enjoying an amazing view of Main Street.

Next Door Bake Shop: As known as pastry heaven, the shop offers amazing combinations of sweets. Who knew coconut lemon rice krispies were ever possible. If you don’t have a sweet tooth plenty of other items are offered such as bagels and paninis. The shop is located on Turner Street in the same shopping center as Buffalo Wild Wings.

O-Pass Tea & Crepe: If you’re on your way into or out of the Math Empo, this is a great place to stop by for a snack. The crepes (which are pretty much really thin pancakes) are to die for! They also have a vast array of teas and Asian cuisine. The Banana & Nutella crepe is a must!

Home Place: If you have time to venture out of town, The Home Place is a 40-minute drive away. But the travel is definitely worth it. A former farmhouse, the restaurant serves up home-style southern food. There is a set price for each guest, here’s how it works: you sit down at a traditional family table and are brought pitchers of a drink of your choice. Then, you choose two or three meats (extra $), and your sides -which range from macaroni n cheese to homemade biscuits with apple butter. A fruit cobbler is served for dessert. Definitely come hungry and with a large group of friends!

Laura Baugh

Virginia Tech

Laura Baugh is a senior at Virginia Tech where she is double majoring in Communications and Film. When not busy with school, Laura enjoys editing film and video, being the general manager at VTTV, spending time with her amazing sisters in Gamma Phi Beta, playing her guitar, and reading Her Campus! She is also obsessed with her school's athletics. Go Hokies!