5 Fun St. Patrick’s Day Drinks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

St. Patrick’s Day is a day full of rainbows, leprechauns, and people covered from head to toe in green. It’s the one day a year that the Irish can truly celebrate their heritage and the legacy of the patron saint of Ireland. The history behind St. Patrick’s Day is interesting, but most people enjoy the celebratory nature of the Irish and forgo the history lesson in favor of partying and dancing.

With the holiday falling directly after spring break this year I have put together a list of mocktails that will satisfy any crowd, especially those who aren’t going down south to the beach for the week. Here are my top five St. Patrick’s Day mocktails:

1. Lime Mojito Mocktail
    • 1 lime

• 6 mint leaves

• 10mL agave syrup

• 10mL lemon syrup

• Crushed ice

• Sparkling water

2. Shamrock Shake

• 3 cups vanilla ice cream

• 1 cup whole milk

• ¼ teaspoon mint extract (not peppermint)

• Green food coloring

• Whipped cream

3. 7UP Green Apple Lemonade Spritzer

• 1.5 cups green apple mixer

• 3 cups 7UP

• 3 cups lemonade

• Green food coloring

• Lime/lemon

• Green apple

• Ice

4. Shamrock Juice

• Pineapple juice

• Sparkling lemonade

• Sparkling white grape juice

• Lime popsicles

• Green apples  

5. St. Patrick’s Day Punch

• 2 ¼ ounce packages Kool-Aid lemon-lime mix

• 46 ounces chilled pineapple juice

• 2 quarts cold water

• 4 chilled liters of ginger ale

• Lime sherbet

These delicious mocktails will be a hit with everyone from young children to adults with their refreshing flavor and fun color. If you try one of these recipes or any other St. Patrick’s Day treats with your friends and family feel free to share them with us on our instagram and twitter! We love to see what the DIY queens of Virginia Tech can do to make the holiday’s even better with homemade and fun projects.

Instagram: @hercampusvirginiatech

Twitter: @HCVirginiaTech

Sources & Images:  1/2/3/4/5

Gifs  from Giphy.com

Ashleigh Griffin

Virginia Tech '19

Ashleigh is a graduate from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University.  She received a Bachelor's of Science in Food Science and Technology. Her future career will hopefully combine both her knowledge of the food industry and the importance of marketing and brand management.